Home Technical Talk

Zbrush workflow

Elie
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Elie polycounter lvl 7
Hey I'm kinda lost with my Zbrush workflow : I sculpted an object, then I duplicated the subtool for back up, clicked on Dynamesh, then on Zremesher. What I have now is what it seems a cleaner poly object. But will I be able to UV-map this on Maya, then apply a displace map based on my first sculpted subtool ? As their UV-map will never be the same, I suppose ?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    Yes, what youll have to do is:

1) export your remeshed tool
    2) UV tool in Maya
    3) import back to Zbrush
    4) Project details onto mesh

You can also do steps 1 and 2, and then just bake from High Poly Mesh to Low poly in a software package of your choice
  • Elie
    Offline / Send Message
    Elie polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot Brian and Jose, I definitely need to re-open this software when I'll have extra time. I experimented bake textures with substance painter, but I had lot of problems with several objects on a single fbx file for a little environment. I think baking didn't work well depending on the scale and position of the object in the scene. So I ended up separating meshes for every props, and that made the process pretty painfull.
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    When I baked in Substance Painter, I either exploded all of my meshes so that nothing overlapped or you can apply a separate material to each object you want to keep separate. Then when you're baking, you can hide objects based on their material.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    To be honest Zbrush workflow has always been a huge pain in the a....     It  always been a glorious screenshot/concept maker .
    In actual work it's never ending fight with projection spikes, wrong normals and forever displacement bakes.   

The sky is blue, the grass is green and art tools will never be convenient  till skynet or some other super AI  would  learn to code them.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    *Organise the uvs of the remeshed tool in zB or GoZ it to your 3d app and do it there.

*Take the remeshed uved tool and apply subdivision levels to it in zB till it is at the same high level as your detail sculpt.

*Take your remeshed tool and detailed scul[pt to their lowest level.

*With the detailed sculpt at level one, visible and the remeshed.tool at the same low level and selected in the subtool menu hit, project all.

*Keep doing that for each subdivision level until your uved remeshed tool has the same level of detail as the original sculpt.

*With the remeshed tool selected generate a displacement map.

*GoZ the remeshed tool out of zB and into your 3d app and with a subserface/turbo smooth/smoothing + displacement modifier applied and some monkeying ariund with settings you should get a perfect result using your displacement map.