Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Earth creature/parasyte - 3d project WIP/dev log

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OlograMan polycounter lvl 4
Hi people. So, i got this project as a self motivation one and also as a oportunity to grow my knowledge about this theme.
The final goal of this project is to make a 3d game-ready model, so i still have a lot to learn and apply over this project and i really would love to get some critics while im still prototyping it.

I started with some raugh draws by hand and then move it to pc and paint it as cover the line as well.
(30/01/18)

After this, i made the first blockout from the concept and what i had in mind and as i expose to the community i got a lot of great critics which showed me the better way to make it.
(16/02/18)

So i made another concept with improvements for the tree and also update the model, but it still a blockout.

(18/02/18)
(19/02/18)

So as i was getting a lot of critics then made a quick render on Substance Painter to help show what kind of style i wanna go. _Low res because i used giphy to make this.
(19/02/18)

Now im about study parasite plants, cuteness factor and character composition. Im still studying to learn as much as possible from this, so im picking a bit of each at once as i still have another projects to work on.

I made over 30 variations in order to identify the cutest and functional creature to go and work over the best 3 of them.(25/02/18) These are the best of those.

Thank you for checkout this post and i would love to get some critics over this project or any tip about anything. Im working very slow on this project but i'll always check out this post and be active.

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    It is a fun model, but between your texture and modeling the tree stump looks more like a piece of desert rock. I think it is the lack of bark texture. Even in a simplified style it feels like it should still have lines running up and down it. The extra bit of bark on top helps sell where your creature might have picked up his load. Your drawing conveys the sense of wood well.
  • OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey o/ Thank you for say this ^^ I was already trying to keep the tree as a tree :D  but i didnt thought that much about the concept because even that i was presenting the concept as a goal to reach but while on 3d i didnt made to be exactly the same, which was kinda unfortunely. Anyway, im seeking this improvement on the model so im still working on it until i got it there. Thank you for the critique. :)
  • OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.. So i think i finally got what i want about the tree. I'v sculpt some ideas about the bark details in order to get those hard edges which will make it looks like a actual tree haha' Anyway, the goal is to use this behaviour to give the shape but use the color variation to keep the style i want.
    I would love to get some critics over this even if its just a sample of what im going for.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there do you have backstory about this guy ?
    Why does he have tree and practice target on his head ?
    Let me guess : He is embarrassed of his hair style / He is like one of this crabs that take dead snail shell to protect themself(hermit crab) /he looks like a tree spirit so is this remains of the tree he was suppose to protect /is tree like a egg yolk - life support or just cool hat

Roots looks kind of short for such big tree

• OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha Kinda that xD So, the creature is a parasite which give strengh and use the tree to protect from outside until he awakes and get on the "final version".

The tree isnt that big tho, the creature is a bit bigger than a puppy but i guess i didnt manage to represent this in a good way :(

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Parasite you say then you have to show this in some way
    I personally like second on bottom row , but you have to make this leaves work , maybe something like braids close to his head until they pop up under the tree
    If you going to cute try bigger eyes and ski jump ramp short nose
    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/profile-baby-14164792.jpg

• OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey o/ Im really sorry for the time away from this post, i got a job on a studio and it has been my main goal, i also got into college so im kinda spliting my time in between personal project and duties.
    So, during the time i had to work on it, i finish the tree bark almost completely, i just didnt post it online so i didnt got any critics about and dont really know what i made wrong but im glady of how it looks now.

And lately i was studying about the chicken leg to then stylize it and make it work with the rest. I tried to mark the muscles that are more visible over the skin on the draw and replicate it on the studies.
    And i also did a cheap run cycle in 2d just to put in the paper a rough view of what i had in mind for this piece, after i made it, was really easy to set some core things and stop change it, like the bark, type of leaves, the skin material and the chicken leg, since the reference for the creature behavior was a chicken. I wasnt able to show all this on the draw but for me it really pops my mind and serve as a reference.

So, this was everything i made for this piece since march, now im just waiting for more critics in order to fix what i can and make it better.
    Im probably gonna comeback here on the end of the month because its when i plan to have the high poly version finished. Thank you for read this and please leave a comment/critic, PLEASE!!
  • OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey o/ After all this im finally touching the face. I've change the concept idea so many times but i finally got one that fits what i want and a possible plot for the creature. Anyway, i choose thise one in order to archiev that cute/naive look. I did some changes on the foot as well, but im still improving it (y)

• OlograMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo :smile:  Just to post an update on the skin surface and the rest of the major parts. I'll be back this weekend to hopefully end the highpoly work and rush to the paint step.