Home Career & Education

Looking for advice about continuing self-education

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Hi, I'll make this as brief as possible. 

Self learner, began 3d art from zero computer use background about 5 months ago. Mostly learned from pluralsight in the beginning, now I piece together what I need to learn from google search. 

Today, after getting a nice boost from this forum the other day, I've now ironed out most of the hiccups in my game character creation pipeline. That is, I can block a character out, sculpt, bake maps, and texture, and I can do so without too many major bumps anymore. 

Okay, so I am reasonably comfortable with my chosen medium, now I got to start thinking about making art that impresses. Currently I am working with a rev-share indie group, making 80% realistic, 20% stylized human and animal characters, that I am trying my best to be cinematic quality. This is a good project for me, because if I had to focus in on one artistic niche, I'd really like to make primitive peoples and animals. Just a personal like.

But my own education and career goals always come first, so, my major questions are, based on the quality of my finished assets so far, do you suggest springing for something like a CGMA course so I can get some qualified 1-on-1 feedback, or save my money and continue finishing models, or perhaps it's time to dive right in and start applying for jobs (although I would think I need at least two finished character models to display properly in a portfolio)?

I know this is a generic noobie question that gets asked a million times and, ultimately, you don't know me so how can you reasonably tell me what I ought to do with my life.... but I live in the boonies and have zero connections to anybody else in this industry, so it'd be nice to gather a few opinions. Thanks for any help.

Game model rifle

game model soldier -- I have rigged and animated this guy. While my animations suck because I have very little time spent learning that, it has reassured me that I am making models that deform properly.

My current work -- in progress photo from zbrush

High poly in progress inside Zbrush. Currently I've just gotten through a major hurdle with this model that has been a stymie for me on all of my models -- map baking. But with some help I've used Marmoset Toolbag 3 to get my first "perfect" map bake -- that is that my game res model looks almost indistinguishable from the high poly (sorry, no screenshots yet as I've only done half of the model, and have to UV the rest).

Replies

• kierangoodson
    Offline / Send Message
    kierangoodson polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, although I am not a character artist, I may be able to share some useful advice:

IMO, the models all look great proportion wise. I actually don't know what would make your characters more realistic if that's where you want to take them? Perhaps more detailed shaders in Substance Designer/Painter or something? 

From listening to countless Gnomon panels and podcasts, I think it is important to showcase things you are interested in as well as professional work on your portfolio (if you have the experience under your belt). 
    If you like primitive people and animals then Farcry Primal sounds right up your street. Perhaps some inspiration if you wanted to head towards more realistic realms of character art?

In terms of CGMA courses/tutorials and such, as a graduate, I've debated this too. It's a LOT of money to come granted. However, I'm sure there are vast amounts of value that you can reap from them, especially considering CGMA is a reputable host for industry professionals. You can consider a purchase like that as an investment in yourself and your career which should see your work (and workflow) come leaps and bounds by learning from experts. IMO, it'll be worth it. Also try Gnomon Workshop as an alternative or Gumroad for cheaper tutorials from industry folks. 

As for job applications, I'm told that this is something that should be done alongside portfolio work regardless of what stage it's at. Less is more, so it's better to have one 'wow' piece than several 'meh' pieces if that makes sense. Other than that, being active on forums like this is wicked and building industry connections through social media and LinkedIn is also recommended.

I read a figure not long ago that 80% of industry job postings don't even make it only because positions are filled internally or by referrals where an employee has directly recommended someone for the role. Not sure how accurate that is but networking seems important.

I hope I've helped or at least pointed you towards somewhere of value. All the best. 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Ah, thanks so much for your time. 

It seems ages since I posted this (and reading anything this old brings some embarassment), although it really isn't such a long time. I'm still kind of in the same boat in a way, although now I think I have a better perspective on where I stand as an artist, and what I need to improve, and how to do that. 

I'm still considering trying out some of these CGMA courses, although its more of a backup plan for the circumstance that I finish a few strong portfolio pieces in the next few months, get no or negative response, and come to a point where I can't see obvious ways to improve. 

TBH, about those more expensive schools, i am a little turned off by them. It seems they have some world class instructors, but when I've written to them the customer service isn't so hot and I have trouble finding answers to what I expect are pretty common questions. Anyway, I've come pretty far self-studying so I'll keep on like this until I hit a wall. I'm not so poor as I used to be, but I still don't like throwing around money willy-nilly.

About sticking to one's interest... yeah I agree completely. I really like primitive people and cultures, but even more I like critters, particularly the furry kinds. :) So I think I'll try to do 50:50 of those two things, just as it's what I enjoy. It may be worthwhile to do some more generic "gamey" stuff like space marines or sexy heroines, I guess, but I'll only do that if I got to.

About improving those earilier models of mine for a more realistic look -- it's a litlte bit of everything, I think. I've been getting more serious about anatomy, material creation, spending more time to just study things beforehand and more time to make them right, rather than just "good enough"... I remain hopeful for now, though I haven't had my spirits crushed yet as I haven't applied for any jobs. That will be soon though, so wish me luck.