Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photoshop Painting Workflow Question?

junfanbl
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
junfanbl polycounter lvl 6

Hey everyone,

So I just started getting into painting in photoshop. I had some questions on a potential workflow I was thinking of.

I was going to sketch all of the foreground elements (including any characters and props) and then paint them. To try and save time,  for the background itself, I was considering using some of my 3D assets (mainly for foliage). I was thinking of building a scene in Unreal Engine with lighting and everything using my 3D assets and materials. After that, capturing a screenshot of the scene, and inserting it into its own layer in photoshop. Which would then be positioned as the background.

I could then apply any number of filters to the image to give it a “painted” look. I already have a library of foliage assets and materials for building a nature scene. So I thought I might as well use them to save time on painting in the background.

What do you guys think of that workflow idea?

Replies

• Shiv0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv0r polycounter lvl 8
    I would propably only use the foliage stuff for the forderground. On the background it tends to be pretty noisy. That's why i would just straight paint them on the background because you would anyway try to simplify all the detail on the background.