Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest 2017] Ryōshi-Kukku Tahm Kench [ Redesign + Splash art ]

enokone
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
enokone polycounter lvl 2
Hello,

I will be streaming a lot of my process over on twitch as well as posting my updates here. I did a couple of differently themed sketches for Tahm Kench and ended up chosing the fisherman/cook themed design. On twitch i will be doing cleanups for the designs and doing the composition works.  Anyway, check out my twitch to see the process, the videos of previous streams will be available, although some of this will be without commentary. Goodluck all, cant wait to see all your entries!!

https://www.twitch.tv/konradlanga?tt_content=text_link&tt_medium=live_embed

Replies

• enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the design sketches as well as the initial thumbnails for the illustration. Hope to hear your thought on these! 

• enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i have made a clean up of the initial design live on stream, although i couldn't talk during the stream, which is a shame. Also after that i took some time, and made a couple of color variation on the design. Hope you will like them! 
  • Hozure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hozure vertex
    Looking forward to the comps. Would've personally went for mayan one but I'm curious to see what you do considering the already existing skin.
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hozure said:
    Looking forward to the comps. Would've personally went for mayan one but I'm curious to see what you do considering the already existing skin.
    I was also thinking a lot about the Mayan one, but somehow it wasn't fitting his character as well as the Japanese them. I will probably do completely new comps for this one, scratching the old ones completely.  Thank you very much for your comment! 
  • mangamie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mangamie triangle
    looking damn good sir, keep updated!
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mangamie said:
    looking damn good sir, keep updated!
    Thank you very much! Am working on the ideas for new thumbnails right now! Will be posting the first sketches and the ideas that i wrote down soon! 
  • RedSinistra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    wow, really like where this is going! Keep it up! 
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i have been working on the initial sketches for the thumbnails, these are VERY ROUGH, but might be interesting to look at. Will be doing the cleanup on these today. 

As some ideas that i have for these: 

1. Jumping out from an abyssal voyage, to grab on to some fish that will have just a little bit of view space. 

2. Here i was thinking about some type of chase scene, where he has a bottle in one of his hands and running away through a market/port

3. In this one i am thinking of having a drink in on a bay and making crabs ( in the foreground ) fight each other for their life. 

5. A scene inspired by splash art that i have seen somewhere, dont remember what it was, but here we see him sitting in his fishing boat, with a huge koi fish under his arm with a bowl of sake in his other hand. 

The second round is a lot more rough bare with me until the clean up stage :) 

5. Is a very similar to the 3 one, although i wanted it to be a different perspective in this one, and more of a gambling scene, him betting on the crab fight with people around  ( didn't sketch them in tho :D

6. It is another perspective on the chase scene, running through a port, jumping over boxes. 

7. is again a different way to present the 4 idea, him boasting about a humongous koi, having on foot on it and being smirky

8. is a gambling scene, him throwing the dice on the table, but in the clean up i will change that to be a more traditional japanese style gambling game - the cup-dice, so he will be dynamically putting the cup down, us seeing the dice, him looking over the table all smirky 

Let's see how these will look when cleaned up :) 

• enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, really like where this is going! Keep it up! 
    Thank you VERY much! Have done a couple of rough thumbnail sketches :) 
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today during the stream i chose a couple of these super rough comps, and started cleaning them up. Ended up finishing the cleanup on only one, as it actually does take some times to do :D Here in the attachment is the result - Comp Nr. 4, clean up with and without values. 

Next up will be Nr. 1, 6 and 8. Hope you will like the progress. 
  • RaphaelB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelB triangle
    hey amazing stuff! can't wait the next step
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelB said:
    hey amazing stuff! can't wait the next step
    Thank you VERY much!! I will be doing the next comps on monday! 
  • enokone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a stream today, not a huge progress, but still did some cleanup on one of the thumbnails. Here is the result of the stream, will be finishing the sketch tomorrow.