Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

[WIP] In the Face of Twilight - Zoe lore, EDGE Edition

vertex
Alternate title: Zoe meets Creepy Subtext!

It's good to have a lighthearted character every now and then, but what if Zoe's EDGE meter was cranked up to eleven? I'm not saying it should be, but that it wouldn't be very difficult to derive tragedy from a situation like Zoe's if one really tried. Like, what if at first she just wanted to go home? She'd be pretty screwed. And it presumably isn't until later that she truly takes on the mantle of 'Twilight's Herald'...not because it's a preset role that needs filling, but out of a personal sense of obligation grown from her own scarring brush with the Aspect of Twilight.

Zoe drifted through the dark rift between dimensions, in a place outside of the usual rules of time and space. Sitting upon one of countless craggy 'islands' of rocky debris, that floated about endlessly in a boundless black aether, she let out a sigh.

“Welp...I'm bored!” She mused to herself.

Sulking, she ventured another scan of her surroundings, on the off chance that anything had changed:

In every direction, still, she saw nothing but the scattered debris, distant glimmers of stars, and glowing pink and purple bands of light, like cosmic roads winding off into eternity. Perhaps she'd marvel at the view, if only she had someone else to share it with.

However, Zoe knew she wasn't alone.

A pale human face – smooth but solid, like a mask – fazed into corporeality within the previously empty space before her.

“Why the long face, kid!?” It barked with a rough, obnoxious voice, like if a dog could talk.

“Listen, Twilight,” she said, trying to avoid the entity's harrowing gaze. “Thanks for bailing me out back there, but unless there's something else you wanna show me I'd really like to go home now.”

But the mask kept up with her movements by gliding freely through the void, its features fluctuating in conjunction with the ever-changing quality of its voice:

“Home!? Back to those mean old elders?” The Aspect said in a child's voice, not unlike Zoe's.

Zoe gave it a little thought. The Aspect of Twilight hadn't done anything specifically bad to her yet, but there was something decidedly off about the extra-dimensional being, if only she could put her finger on it...

“Come on and stay a while,” it said in a charming man's voice. “Next round's on me!”

A tendril sprouted from the dark, then coiled around her neck. Not tightly enough to choke her, but enough that she could recognize that it was a possibility.

Zoe shivered in the Aspect's ice cold grasp.

“No...thanks,” she struggled to say, and made a feverish attempt at tugging the tendril loose, to no avail. “I'll just...be on my way!”

The Aspect, giggling gleefully at her flimsy resistance, simply tightened its grip.

“No, my sweet,” it said in a warm but firm tone, like a mother talking down to her unruly child. “I'm afraid that won't be possible.”

Before Zoe could protest, she became enveloped by darkness.

“The world you hail from is no longer,” the Aspect of Twilight cooed softly, rippling across her senses like a pebble to still waters.

Suddenly, a portal opened in Zoe's mind that dissipated the pitch black. Through it she was able to glimpse the familiar cliffalong which her Lunari tribe had lived, sequestered in caverns and subterranean tunnels by day to avoid the ever-watchful Solari's detection; only emerging to forage in the nearby woodland under the solemn watch of the moon.

It was during the daytime, particularly at a time when the sun reached its zenith in the sky and Zoe knew most of her people would be asleep, that the Solari attacked.

“No! Stop it!” Zoe screamed at the unfolding scene as even the children, many of whom she recognized, were not spared the sun's wrath. “They're just kids!” Realizing her pleas were futile, the fervor in her voice waned to a meek mumble. “W-w-we didn't hurt anyody...”

One-by-one, she watched as the Lunari were being plucked from their caves by warriors clad in shining gold armor, and then --

“Lo, the brutality of man!” The Aspect cackled upon the falling of a Solari blade, its voice hoarse and gravelly like an old man's.  

As this tiny window into Zoe's world faded, she could feel the Aspect of Shadow drawing her inward, into its farthest depths, attempting to merge her with the innumerable lost souls of those who were also drawn in by Twilight's trickery, or reassuring whispers.

Zoe resisted with all her might, and in doing so so a light started to grow within her.

“It is your destiny, Zoe!” they beckoned to her as one in a resounding chorus, as she struggled to break free. “Why go back, when you can stay with us? Together as one, in eternity...”

“Destiny!? So, you mean...it hasn't happened yet?”

“Nothing can change destiny,” its voices reverberated. “All life will one day pass.”

“B-b-but why me!?” she pleaded. “Why did you choose to tell me, over everyone else?”

The responses of the individual souls were non-unanimous isolated echoes, ranging from because you're so carefree,” and so funny, so cute, so energetic, so naive, so young...

“It is you we wanted,” a lone voice added, deep and dramatic like an old cleric's. “No one else...”

Zoe felt the light within her surge – she'd always been the best at tag, back at home.

“First, you'll have to catch me!”

Ripples of the power she'd gained in her new astral form shined outwards, shedding away the Aspect's shroud of darkness.

“Foolish girl!” The Aspect's comprising denizens simultaneously shrieked in anger.

It pursued her in a form like a blot of ink spreading across the subspace, consuming everything in its path.

Hands emerged from the inky depths, grasping for Zoe, but she found she could materialize her new powers of starlight into projectiles that she continually fired at the rapidly approaching shadowy mass, just barely keeping the raging Aspect at bay.

Zoe plunged into the flow of one of the glowing bands of light she'd seen previously, and found herself being swept along in a warm current.

Content that she had escaped the Aspect, she simply curled up and cried, letting the current take her.

She never in a million years could have imagined missing her life among the Lunari. However, even as tiny portals into the infinite number of parallel dimensions started to pop up, like bubbles, in her midst, home was the only destination on her mind.