Home Technical Talk

Texture by poly and mesh feature problems

Easton
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Easton vertex
Hi,

I have run into a problem where when I try to select a poly or mesh on my model in Substance and add a material to it, it selects either the triangles that make up my polys on my model.

I included some pictures below because I know I am not explaining this very well. For whatever reason when I export a model out of 3ds max and into Substance it turns the hidden lines into extra selectable polys. Also I am not sure why when I group objects in 3ds max that it still selects my entire model in Substance Painter

one picture shows the hidden edges in Max and the other in Substance. I don't think hidden edges are supposed to appear in Substance or turn into selectable polys... 

Did I do something wrong?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most applications outside of a major 3d modeling package don't support the hidden edge feature, either there's an edge or there's not. With most workflows, I'd suggest triangulating your model before you import it into Substance. A model needs to be triangulated before a normal map is baked in order to preserve shading, different apps will triangulated the same model in different ways. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That ^^ is all true...

However.. When going from max to anything else via fbx you stand a much higher chance of getting quads if you add a turn to poly modifier, snapshot the object and export the snapshot rather than the original. It also makes it less likely that normals will change etc. 

You also have to untick preserve edge orientation in the fbx options.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether Painter supports quads or not but this applies across the board. 

In Painter, objects are grouped by material, not mesh which might help you understand about the selection