Home Adobe Substance

Procedural scratch with directional control

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

This is kind of a challenge: I am looking for a way to generate scratch/worn similar to the effect on Tracer's leather jacket:

I already know how to generate the seam, and the wavy color fade around seam, and now I have to simulate the sharp scratch that extends vertically along the seam.

I am aim to do this completely in Substance Designer (as a material), so no actual handpainting or SP physics simulation allowed.

My current idea: somehow achieve this using a Tile Sampler node. Create a vector map for the seam, then you tell SD, apply rotation on the scratch shape so it align vertically to the seam, then randomize the shape.

But alas, while it works, I can't find a good way to generate that scratch shapeWhat would be your suggestion?

(PS: My progress so far, using only base color and roughness, I am going for a stylized look)

With scratch (basic shape, obviously look wrong)

Replies

• igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like accentuated wears on the leather in your reference can be best produced by utilizing hi-poly normal/cavity map data.
     You can try using a softened anisotropic noise warped with another noise of your taste. And then isolate nicer looking shapes by histogram scan etc.