Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Textures in DDO/3DO look nothing like when imported into UE4

Particularly it seems that the metallic and roughness maps use different ranges. Anyone know any settings I can mess with to get 3DO and DDO into alignment with UE4? (Yes, I'm using the UE4 preset when I create DDO projects.)

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey!

Could you show an image comparing what you see in UE4 vs what you see in 3DO?
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia said:
    Hey!

Could you show an image comparing what you see in UE4 vs what you see in 3DO?

https://imgur.com/Fhaj36C
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Using the same skybox will help. Looks like the one in 3DO isn't set to the default UE4 sky. Ensure that GGX rendering is enabled in 3DO (found in the Options tab) and make sure your non-sRGB textures (e.g. everything that isn't albedo/base color) has sRGB disabled in Unreal.
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using the same skybox will help. Looks like the one in 3DO isn't set to the default UE4 sky. Ensure that GGX rendering is enabled in 3DO (found in the Options tab) and make sure your non-sRGB textures (e.g. everything that isn't albedo/base color) has sRGB disabled in Unreal.
    Yeah, those aren't the issue. Inverting the roughness map actually got a lot closer to what I wanted but still required some manual painting in photoshop.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you had to invert the roughness, I'm almost 99% sure that map needed sRGB unchecked.
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you had to invert the roughness, I'm almost 99% sure that map needed sRGB unchecked.
    And I'm 100% sure It is already unchecked and I have the compression setting set to masks. I'm getting the same results with everything I'm running through DDO. Roughness is so much lower than it should be that it actually gets closer to the correct value when inverted.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If possible, could you share the project itself and/or the exported maps? I'd like to take a closer look at this.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    For what it is worth...

I have had this issue ever since I upgraded from legacy ddo to the newer quixel suite. I always need to manually adjust the Roughness post DDO. Nowadays I simply multiply the roughness created in DDO in the material editor by about 2.5 (I wonder if it is a Gamma issue as 2.5 is pretty close to 2.2 (photoshop document colour managment?)) to get a result in UE4 that is close to what I see in 3DO.

Same as BlackFengTech, my packed textures are set to Masks and sRGB off. 
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the roughness map that correlates with the images I posted. They brightest value is only 153/255.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's very difficult to troubleshoot what the discrepancy is without the project to check against what you're seeing in the editor - if possible, could you share it?
  • BlackFangTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's very difficult to troubleshoot what the discrepancy is without the project to check against what you're seeing in the editor - if possible, could you share it?
    No. The problem is universal, not project specific. Every single project. Every mesh. Every material type. If you don't edit the textures and just import into UE4, you get something that is very glossy looking. If you want something to compare with the images I posted, just use the Black Oxide smart material in military metals.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can download my files/project here:

http://fagurd.com/PC/Torus.zip (~45mb)

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks, FaithG_! I'll take a look into this ASAP. It's a weekend so I can't guarantee I'll be able to get to this until Monday at the earliest.

@BlackFangTech I appreciate that you're having trouble with the toolset, however, refusing to cooperate with reasonable requests is not going to lead to a desirable outcome. I can only work with you insofar as you're willing to work with me. Please keep this in mind for any future support queries. :)
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    I have the same issue.

3DO left

Re-Installing Quixel into a new folder fixes this ... for a day or two.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Let's move this discussion to individual tickets that our 3DO programmer can look into. Please e-mail any information, project files, and reproducible steps to support@quixel.se so we can get this routed to him directly and resolved ASAP. Sorry about the trouble, guys!
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Synaesthesia
    I merely came in here to support the original issue, as it is something i have dealt with always with DDO2 and came to accept that DDO2 is just not calibrated with UE4 correctly.

And since multiple people have this issue I dont see how splitting this off into separate tickets will help. Again as my post and defraggers post is simply 'providing more evidence'.

That being said where you guys able to figure anything out from the project I sent over?

-edit-
    Just wanting to let you know that I understand lighting scenarios can obviously differ in UE4 and 3DO, which is fine. But I dont understand how that would affect the roughness of an object.
    I say this cause I did a quick search and in topics from pre 2.3 you mentioned that it would be fixed with 2.3 and what not now with GGX. That in combination with the UE4 HDRI's should supposedly fix this. 
    From what i understand it will be near impossible to get 3DO to display like UE4 as afaik 3DO's engine is Unity. So no matter what it will not be calibrated perfectly.

That being said, is it possible to have a preview window that runs on UE4? 
    Literally all it does is launch a UE4 project with just your model and maps, none of the regular 3DO options.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It needs to be sent in as a ticket for our programmer to look at it and respond individually. I'm the only Quixel representative on Polycount, so posting here isn't going to get issues raised through the proper channels to identify and resolve problems like this.

As far as checking out your project goes, I haven't had time to unfortunately. I'll see if I can get to it sometime this week, but for now, the best solution is to send it in via support@quixel.se along with the other users experiencing this same issue. I'd like to get this fast-tracked for an update ASAP! :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I sent an email to support@quixel.se with the subject: 'Roughness Issue 3DO vs UE4'.

Ill post any meaningful updates in this topic as well, so anyway that is interested in this can get updated as well. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Cheers, thank you! I've forwarded it over to our Suite programmer for investigation and potential debugging.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya, just asking for an update.

Havent gotten any reply to my email as of yet either.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I don't see any open tickets related to this particular issue. Could you please provide the ticket ID here for investigation?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lied... 

Completely missed the replied email and in turn haven't replied myself...

Is it possible to reopen the ticket if it had been closed after no answer?
    Can I just reply to the last email I received or should I start a new email and this ticket ID?

I believe the ticket ID is 21468

Sorry for the trouble!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try replying to it - it doesn't look closed on my end! :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks, Ill reply when I get back home!