[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Jason Chisolm

Jchisolm
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jchisolm triangle
Hey all! For my entry i'm thinking of doing a soul volley, where after all 3 souls hit the target it is infused with soul energy which then detonate in an aoe around it.
I'm going to keep the most up to date WIP video of it Below.

Replies

• Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Quick Update from today. I'm blocking in some more colors and trying to get a gradient for the effect. Overall not happy with the value structure of it yet, got lots i want to tweak still. I'm also starting to play around with the shape of the missiles overall. Next step is going to be working on the impact VFX so i can get a better view of it as a whole before going back and tweaking it all. 

• Toafer
    Offline / Send Message
    Toafer polycounter lvl 5
    I'm liking this so far! The beginning motion of the projectiles coming up from the ground and settling is nice. The thing that feels a bit off to me is the direction change towards the target. I feel like maybe it could be smoothed out perhaps? And the sparks that emit when the projectiles change direction feel a bit distracting. It feels like an impact, and if that feels like an impact its going to take away from the actual impact. Maybe something a bit softer could work instead. And maybe some timing variation in the speed/firing of the projectiles could give it a bit more texture.

Can't wait to see more :)
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'm 100% going to tone down when they change directions in future updates, currently it's a left over from an earlier block out so i know when they change directions. I'll probably make it feel more like they gather energy there and that's what prompts them to speed up. 

Most Recent WIP as well.

• alemar95
    Offline / Send Message
    alemar95 null
    wow! That looks so good, love the anticipation. What are you using to make the missiles and the collision? Maya, Unreal?
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Thanks dude! It's all put together in UE4, the Missiles are just using the Collision feature from Cascade and some light blueprint work for the impacts. 
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle

Oh man it’s been a while since I could work on this, but now that first semester of Senior Thesis is done, and I got my holiday work station all set up it’s time to get back into this!

I updated the path of the missiles and their impact behaviors. I’m still tweaking the impacts as well as the timing of the missiles changing directions. I think i’d like to add a secondary detonation to the receiving sphere as if it has been infused with energy. I’ll try to spike it out tomorrow to see if it works or not.

• Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Spiked out the Debuff for the hit today! Overall i'm liking the direction of cracks forming once the missiles hit the target and then it absorbing some surrounding energy. Hoping to get the explosion first pass tomorrow so the whole effect will be complete and ready to iterate on more!

• Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Hope everyone had an awesome holiday break. Here's my post new years update! I got the final explosion blocked in so now i'll be going over the whole effect and tackling what's still sticking out and not transitioning smoothly enough. 

• Priareos
    Offline / Send Message
    Priareos polycounter lvl 5
    Looking pretty sweet dude! Especially timing and colors are ace.
    One thing i'd add is more of a connection between the impacts of the projectiles and the debuff. E.g. each projectile adding additional 'cracks' on top of each other, instead of slowly applying the debuff after the final impact. Just to connect projectiles and debuff more into one entity. 

Keep going, last month :) Cheers
  • floorpeas
    Offline / Send Message
    floorpeas polycounter lvl 6
    I love the swirl smoke. Keep up the great work
  • Taykoh
    Offline / Send Message
    Taykoh null
    The third missile and the last explosion feels satisfying to watch, nice timing man
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Thanks for all the comments! I just got back to school so i had to take a lil break from this but i'm excited to get back to it tomorrow! The idea of Cracks after each missile is cool i'll try to spike it out!
  • DeviousShadows
    Definitely my favourite one so far. Amazing work ♥
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    I've been looking at this for 10 times now lol. Anyway, greetings another teal/purple palette enthusiast! My only suggestion is that the missile spawning animation could use some variation in movement. Right now they are roughly the same height and just jump straight up, which I think could be spiced up a bit. And it could have some additional flash of light when they spawn so it looks more powerful? Still, this is SUPERB and looks so, so much like it is lifted from the game. I think I'm gonna watch it again now.

• Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Aww thanks so much! I had to take some time away to work on my Blizzard Student Contest entry but I'm going to comeback to this and work on it today! The note about missile height variation is really something I've been meaning to address, I for sure want to get a bit more life in them and make them less the same. I've never been really happy with how they spawn in so adding some flashes and unique textures could definitely help.
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Made some time to tweak a few things on this!

Changed some of the timing on the missiles spawning in and their paths vary a bit more. Then i spent some time on the ending of it to make the explosion have a bit more oomph. Still have a few days to tweak it more so any polish points would be great! 

• Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    I'll say this before I go to sleep: I personally think that there should be slightly more delay between the 'charged up' effect and the detonation, like the energy is super plump and ready to burst.

BTW Love the ground FX, though it is very sudden now. Could use some subtle expanding IMO. But all in all I think it is almost deliverable!
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Totally agree with you on the timing aspect. It needs like just a lil pause so that final burst feels even more impactful. I'll tweak the ground textures a bit more to make them feel nice and smooth instead of hitting such dead stops. Thanks again for all the feedback!
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    Alright I lost a day due to a school wide blackout, but today's the day, going to crunch away on polish points and get something ready for submission!
  • Jchisolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Jchisolm triangle
    going to ahead and call it done! This is just a Rough edit of all three of them together. This was a super fun competition and i'm glad I got to partake in it. Thanks to everyone who provided awesome feedback throughout it, It was really helpful!  GGWP Everyone!