Home Technical Talk

(Solved) 3DSmax hard surface turbosmooth problem

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AnArtAccount polycounter lvl 4
Hello lads,

I have a small problem with my turbosmooth.
I have no idea how to explain it so I added an image :)

The weird thing is that this isn't happening to other parts of the model with the same shape.
I hope someone can help me out here.

Kind regards,
-Bram

(It should be a 90-degree angle like the green lines.)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Plz show it without ts so we can overpaint the topology to point out the error. But basically the corner isn't supported properly by support edgeloops.
  • AnArtAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Plz show it without ts so we can overpaint the topology to point out the error. But basically the corner isn't supported properly by support edgeloops.
    Many thanks for the prompt reply! Here are 2 more pictures with the modifiers on/off. Could you maybe explain your answer a little bit more? :) 
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know if you're trying to get as little geometry on your chamfer there or which turbosmooth method you are using (I am assuming control loops based on how this is modeled) - pick one of the below

1. You could make each of the 4 faces on your low poly (Edit Poly) a separate smoothing group, then enable smoothing groups in your chamfer modifier and apply the chamfer, then the turbosmooth on top should respect the chamfer and smoothing groups. The key is that the planar faces that meet where you do not want the average resulting in a cylinder must be different smoothing groups with this method.

2. Using control loops you would tighten the curve and make sure the control loops run fully through (not stopping as seen here with the chamfer) that corner area so that the turbosmooth has a small distance to average over.
  • AnArtAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmafie said:
    I don't know if you're trying to get as little geometry on your chamfer there or which turbosmooth method you are using (I am assuming control loops based on how this is modeled) - pick one of the below

1. You could make each of the 4 faces on your low poly (Edit Poly) a separate smoothing group, then enable smoothing groups in your chamfer modifier and apply the chamfer, then the turbosmooth on top should respect the chamfer and smoothing groups. The key is that the planar faces that meet where you do not want the average resulting in a cylinder must be different smoothing groups with this method.

2. Using control loops you would tighten the curve and make sure the control loops run fully through (not stopping as seen here with the chamfer) that corner area so that the turbosmooth has a small distance to average over.
    Yep! option 1 solved it for me: Giving each of the 4 faces a separate smoothing group. thanks!!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Add these edges and it will be good. Subdivision surface requires  "guides". They can be added by putting an extra edgeloop on the 2 sides of the guided edge like this:

These 6 edges will make sure that all 3 corners stays sharper. This is a general thing with turbosmooth / subdivision. 

• Obscura
  • AnArtAccount