Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gir's Toolbag 3 shaders, scripts n stuff!

Replies

• fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fake_muse polycounter lvl 4
    Would love to have uv added to your channel display shader. Very helpful for adding features/textures in post. Is that possible?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fake_muse said:
    Would love to have uv added to your channel display shader. Very helpful for adding features/textures in post. Is that possible?
    What exactly do you mean? 
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Any chance you can make layered shader that blends using vertex color? It sounds like a think I'll be ready to buy.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Zelfit said:
    Any chance you can make layered shader that blends using vertex color? It sounds like a think I'll be ready to buy.
    https://gumroad.com/chrisperrella

@radiancef0rge has already made this :)
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8

Chris Perrella has already made this :)

Thanks. Purchased. Dont know how I missed it.
  • fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fake_muse said:
    What exactly do you mean? 
    I mean an uv pass for re-texturing 3D renderings in post.
    The texture coordinates of an object are represented by rgb values on its surface (as far as my understanding goes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzbHWd6Qsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s6Hf68TE34
  • JRay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JRay polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Lee, I've been playing around with your shaders and they are fantastic, thanks for putting them out. I was trying out the cel shader on an asset that has only vertex colors and I noticed most of the colors get completely washed out by the light color.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @fake_muse Done! i'll upload it later.

@JRay ah i think i know what the problem is there, i'll push an upload later that should hopefully fix it.
  • fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fake_muse Done! i'll upload it later.

Wow, that was quick! I guess I owe you a beer. Please give me a sign when the update is live.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Channel Display Shader Update!
    ----V1.04----
    Added the ability to display UV channels on a mesh.

Cell Shader Update!
    ----V1.04----
    Added the ability to multiply vertex colors over base color map value. To use raw vertex colors for your mesh, disable the albedo input map, or use a white albedo map.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cell shader is great dude! Do we need Skyshop to get these to work in Unity? 
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    gavku said:
    Cell shader is great dude! Do we need Skyshop to get these to work in Unity? 
    I'm fairly certain that Toolbag doesn't export custom shader setups to either UE4 or Unity. You would need to find a solution in Unity that does the same, or similar thing.

I'm sure Unity already has cell shaders on the asset store. If not, let me know.
  • fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Channel Display Shader Update!
    ----V1.04----
    Added the ability to display UV channels on a mesh.

Very nice work! 
    To make a uv pass work without aliasing issues it should be a full 32 float render. I assumed Toolbags EXR output delivers that. After a quick test I'm not so sure anymore. My test EXR (gi_room) shows up in Fusion in 16 bit float only. Did I miss something or is this a software limitation?

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @fake_muse I honestly don't have an answer to that one for you, i'd get in touch with @EarthQuake.
  • fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fake_muse I honestly don't have an answer to that one for you, i'd get in touch with @EarthQuake.
    EarthQuake said:
    Only 16-bit float EXR export is support at this time.
    Thank you! Now I know.
  • fake_muse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since TB 3.04b supports 32bit float EXR I would try your shader once again to output a proper UV pass.
    But unfortunately your shader doesn't work anymore in 3.04b (object becomes invisible).
    So an update / fix would be very appreciated. Thanks you.
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    @almighty_gir
    Heya chief, I just came across the breakage in 3.04 as well with the release version. Have  you had a chance to look at whether it's a hard/easy fix or should I roll back to 3.03?

Thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thanks for letting me know guys, i'll check it out asap (read: probably the weekend).
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    the textured2D()'s sampling the standard maps just needs to be changed to textureMaterial() @almighty_gir

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @fake_muse @DMacDraws I've just updated the shader.

@radiancef0rge thanks for the heads up!
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    @fake_muse @DMacDraws I've just updated the shader.

@radiancef0rge thanks for the heads up!
    Sorry @almighty_gir , I was looking for the Cel Shader! I've just pulled it down from Gumroad but it's still dead. @radiancef0rge
    could you explain a little further? I've tried googling but I can't find any reference for shader coding in Toolbag (only Python). Ta!

---EDIT ---
    Never mind! I downloaded the channel shader and used it as reference, I forgot I had that in my Gumroad too. I had been unsure from @radiancef0rge 's comment whether I only changed texture2D in some of the calls and whether USE_TEXTURE2D needed changing.

I just did a global search and replace of "texture2D(" with "textureMaterial(" and away we go. Thanks guys!
  • KonginChains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    Hi any chance of fixing the celshader to work on the latest toolbag 3.04 version? My object just renders invisible/transparent when I apply the shader, no outlines show up no matter how much I tweak the sliders.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'll fix this stuff up later this evening =]
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    perfect for lazy me. I have not a single material project showing all my channels. I will defently check out your shader and update my portfolio. Thx dude ^^
  • KonginChains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    thanks almighty_gir, pls update us in your gumroad email list when you've done it.
  • KrissyH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrissyH polycounter lvl 5
    Hi any chance of fixing the celshader to work on the latest toolbag 3.04 version? My object just renders invisible/transparent when I apply the shader, no outlines show up no matter how much I tweak the sliders.
    I just got told about this shader and I'm having the same issue. I thought I did something wrong when I set it up. I look forward to the update I can't wait to use this shader. Thank you. 
    EDIT: I did the same thing DMacDraws did and it works great now, thanks :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hi guys, the updates to Cell Shader and Diffuse Roughness are now up too, cheers everyone, sorry for the delay!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I like how you already patch it up for 3.05 too xD
  • cybuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cybuster polycounter lvl 3
    Hi so I'm kinda an idiot with the whole custom shader thing and I have no clue if I'm even using it correctly. Is there a video or something I can watch/read to understand how to use your custom cell shader? :neutral:

I'm using your 1.05 on ver. 3.04

it loads up but I don't notice any...cell shading happening.

Thanks again for making an awesome shader.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    cybuster said:
    Hi so I'm kinda an idiot with the whole custom shader thing and I have no clue if I'm even using it correctly. Is there a video or something I can watch/read to understand how to use your custom cell shader? :neutral:

I'm using your 1.05 on ver. 3.04

it loads up but I don't notice any...cell shading happening.

Thanks again for making an awesome shader.
    Honestly i doubt i'll have time to make videos on this, apologies for that.

Could you please take a screenshot of your mesh with the cell shaded material applied? Or maybe try turning off ambient light in the cell shader, i think there might be a problem with it but i'll need to look into it some more.
  • cybuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cybuster polycounter lvl 3
    @almighty_gir

I was able to resolve the problem, turns out I just needed to add any light (super fumble on my end, lol)

Please add that to the read me for dumb ppl like myself cuz I thought you only needed to get the shader on and that was it, didn't realize the sky does nothing.  :|

I'll post here if I find any legitimate problems with the shader.

Thanks again for making this shader overall, its super awesome! :smiley:

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I don't remember what plugin version I'm using, I'm not sure I got the Rim Lighting to work. But this is pretty much what I want anyhow. Will play around with it some more.

Thanks much for making this plugin   !!

• jwaller05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwaller05 polycounter lvl 2
    hey I tried your cel shader for marmoset but I'm still getting no results. I loaded the 1.05 for 3.05 but I get nothing. The object is just invisible and nothing is affected when I change the sliders. I've tried everything everybody else mention but I still get nothing.
  • qrolanp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qrolanp triangle
    Um... Yeah, Hi! See, I was looking for a cell shading affect for Marmoset and came across this one. I liked some of the results shown and proceeded to install. So far so good, but I can´t make any sanse of the terms and parameters. Rimlight, Ramp Map, Rim Light, Highlight Map... I´ve never had to work with these. All I´ve ever used Marmoset for is take simple renders and maybe a turnaround or two. I havnen´t found any tutorials either, and I´m feeling pretty lost. Could anyone help me and maybe tell me about a tutorial out there, or give me some simple instructions on the basics of the shader?

Thank you very much, and sorry for the inconvinience.
  • BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    this is awesome, thanks! :)
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    qrolanp said:
    Um... Yeah, Hi! See, I was looking for a cell shading affect for Marmoset and came across this one. I liked some of the results shown and proceeded to install. So far so good, but I can´t make any sanse of the terms and parameters. Rimlight, Ramp Map, Rim Light, Highlight Map... I´ve never had to work with these. All I´ve ever used Marmoset for is take simple renders and maybe a turnaround or two. I havnen´t found any tutorials either, and I´m feeling pretty lost. Could anyone help me and maybe tell me about a tutorial out there, or give me some simple instructions on the basics of the shader?

Thank you very much, and sorry for the inconvinience.
    My problem with it was actually that i was not aware of using only "sky" as a lightsource wont do it, but add a light and it worked as it should.
    Such a nice shader
  • matthew hwang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthew hwang polycounter lvl 5

it worked very well , thank you so much ! : ]
    www.gameworldhwang.com

• Yerus
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Matthew Hwang - Cool stuff man!

@Yerus thanks for the link, hope it helps somebody out! It should be noted that just having a baseline knowledge of cel-shading techniques is not really what's required there. the Guilty Gear/Fighterz games have some pretty heavy custom shader work done and the models have to be made in a *very* specific way to work with them.

@jwaller05 that sounds to me like you're applying the shader to a material that's already using a lot of texture inputs, try removing all the material inputs that aren't required. too many texture inputs tells the renderer to try using more samplers than the hardware can handle.

Glad you're all having fun!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

Simple script for Marmoset Toolbag 3: Get it here!

Allows you to export Cameras, Lights (or both) from Toolbag into a data file, and then import them into another scene! And it's completely free!

Plugin will work with Toolbag 3.07 and newer, it might work with earlier versions but that cannot be guaranteed.

How to use:

• Unpack the zip file into '\Marmoset\Toolbag 3\data\plugin'.
    • In toolbag, select 'Edit > Plugins > Gir_Utilities > SceneComponentIO'.
    • Select your import or export type from Both, Camera, or Lights, and either export selected, export all, or import!

Current limitations:

• Folder/Groups not supported. You can still export the cameras and lights, but the folders will not be available on import. This access is not available in Toolbag yet, when it is, i'll add it.
    • Keyframe data for objects is lost on export, when imported they will be in whatever location they were at when exported. Again this is a limitation of the software, if this functionality is ever added, i'll update the plugin.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Update v1.01:
    •  Can now export and import cameras and lights which are parents/children of other lights, and keep that structure on import.
  • demonslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demonslayer polycounter lvl 3
    brother, thank you very much for that. i requested that once @ the support, and its a mystery to me why this isnt possible yet. 
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You're welcome man!

Let me know if you can think of any improvements, or if you have ideas for other handy stuff. No promises!
  • Krisowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisowski polycounter lvl 4
    Welll the cel shader doesnt work in Marmoset 3.03 as well. 
    Even if I create new material without textures and assign it  to any model it turns invisible :( Any advice or I should wait for patch?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Are you on windows or mac?

I have a feeling there are compilation issues on Mac... is there any chance you could post your error log?
  • MatNutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if anyone else have had this issue, but when I use the cel shader it turns my material to orange. Also my diffusion is set to lambertian.
  • MatNutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I figured it out that the orange is from a light. Kind of annoying that it would do that, but I'll work around it. 

It appears that no matter what light I have it always changes the color of the model. Not sure why it does that, but basically I cannot make renders unless I turn off all lights.
  • memolestas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    memolestas polycounter lvl 2
    Hi almighty_gir your toon shader is really cool, Is there a way to get white specular highlights like the ones  my character has in his eyes? (thess are painted on the diffuse)  Am not using  ambien light cause  I just want flat colors, on the shader I have anabled Higlhlights and added a Highlight map but nothings happens, do you know what am I missing? regards 
  • Nhdeitmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for sharing all the great work! The BradMyers cell shading was what brought me her in the first place. Inspiring stuff!

I'm working on a private project, which is basically fan art for a game called "The bug butcher". The goal is to present a litlle diorama in Toolbag, so I installed this shader to see what I could do.

For my personal model I could not get the outline to work properly. In some areas it would always "eat into the model" too much and create large black areas, more like a rim light would, in other areas it would be too thin.
    The other thing I wish I could do is control the color banding of the shader in a way that allows me to have custom colors in the shadows.
    I ended up faking a cell shader in 3DS Max, just for testing. I like what it does a lot and was interested to hear if something similar would be worth implementing in your shader.

The 1st two images are lighting driven falloff maps multiplied over flat color, (outline created by duplicating mesh and inverting normals)
    (don't mind the caterpillar or the gun, they are unlit and painted only)
    The 3rd image is the same color map with the custom shader in  Toolbag with the outline from the shader.

Thank you very much for providing this shader!