Home Adobe Substance

Burnt plastic (random holes)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
massimobaita polycounter lvl 3

Hello everybody. I wonder if it is possible to reproduce, with Substance Designer, the effect of burnt plastic (similar to many works by Italian artist Alberto Burri), or the effect of a liquid separating (please forgive my English) similar to the video https://vimeo.com/222125279

I am particularly interested in creating a series of random holes (procedurally) of different size and position (not based on a grid) that do not overlap but remain separate from each other.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Massimo

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    You could try building it with a FX-Map, like the cells 1 noise. If they can't overlap at all it'd be a bit harder though...
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Theoretically I think you can start with a pattern that you like, and apply a simple gradient mask on it,and changing the levels of the gradient will give you an effect of holes appearing in a row.  

You can also combine that with a histogram scan that will make your holes smaller or wider depending on the bevel you have in them.

If that does not give you the result that you want, a last idea that came to mind (i am at work so I cannot test it)is that if you do not want overlapping, you could somehow use the holes mask to mask itself. Using a shade of grey instead of black, any hole appearing in a non-white space would multiply itself until it becomes white too. Am I crazy? xD