Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Advice to Improve Walk Cycle ?

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vortakis9 null
Hi people,

I am a student, studying Games Development, and I'm currently working in animation for a project. I would like to ask for an advice from any artist out there who is familiar with 3D Animation(Maya).

I am not very familiar with Animation, fairly new to the field, but I'm more experienced with Programming and Rigging. 
I'm trying to make a walk cycle for low poly meshes which have abstract topology. I'm using the basic techniques like tweaking the Translation/Rotation of my NURB Controls, Graph Editor, Dope Sheet and Editable Motion Trail. The problem is that the animations always look too stiff, no matter how much I try to polish them. We aim for a realistic approach.

I'm wondering if there are any techniques that can help me polish them in a more advanced level and make the animations look more fluid? Any advice is very appreciated and also any critique to improve is very welcome.

PS. Please ignore the fact that the NURB controls looks displaced. The reason is because I have a secondary rig in the scene that I imitate its joints animation to this one through a script.

Thank you.

Replies

• EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    You should upload a front and a side view on syncsketch. It'll be easier to give feedback! Also when you do your anim preview to upload to the site, hide the nurbs controls.
    https://syncsketch.com/
  • Forever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forever polycounter lvl 3
    I'll just throw down some quick feedback first of all:

- I'm not sure, but I think it's a bit too slow for just a generic walk. A generic walk will take place over between 24-30ish frames on average. Maybe more, maybe less. Yours seems to be about 40 for two steps. I could be wrong as frames has never been my specialty, but yeah, it seems too slow. 

- Another reason your walk doesn't feel realistic are the feet are sliding when they are coming back. See the foot arch in the back part of the foot: http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse464/12wi/assignments/assignment_4/images/contact_method.jpg , that is something yours is missing. 

- Your up and down is too much. There's a lot of needless bend there, so try and minimise that a bit. However, it's all at the right timing, so well done there. 

- There's no weight transference left and right on the feet using your COG control. 

- There's no movement on the shoulder controls. Our arms don't move independently, there is always some movement from the torso. 

- There's no overlap. Having the hands hang out front for a couple of frames more when the feet go back goes a long way in adding realism. Not just in the hands and feet movement, but in the whole body. Nothing happens at exactly the right time aha. 

- When your arms go back, they just stop moving something. They have bend the whole time going back and then there's none. A little bit more movement on the wrist going backwards could go a long way. 

So that's just some quick feedback! Keep it up!
  • Vortakis9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vortakis9 null
    Thanks a lot Forever! That's some very useful feedback for me, since I'm just starting to learn the basic principles of animating! Apologies for hte slow animation, the problem was actually the use of GifCam, unfortunately my graphic card does not support a good quality/performance video capture :(
    But still I'm gonna consider your advices and try to improve it! Also, do you think the tools I'm using are sufficient? (graph editor/dope sheet, and the others mentioned above)  or can you recommend anything else that I'm probably not aware of?
    Forever said:
    I'll just throw down some quick feedback first of all:

- I'm not sure, but I think it's a bit too slow for just a generic walk. A generic walk will take place over between 24-30ish frames on average. Maybe more, maybe less. Yours seems to be about 40 for two steps. I could be wrong as frames has never been my specialty, but yeah, it seems too slow. 

- Another reason your walk doesn't feel realistic are the feet are sliding when they are coming back. See the foot arch in the back part of the foot: http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse464/12wi/assignments/assignment_4/images/contact_method.jpg , that is something yours is missing. 

- Your up and down is too much. There's a lot of needless bend there, so try and minimise that a bit. However, it's all at the right timing, so well done there. 

- There's no weight transference left and right on the feet using your COG control. 

- There's no movement on the shoulder controls. Our arms don't move independently, there is always some movement from the torso. 

- There's no overlap. Having the hands hang out front for a couple of frames more when the feet go back goes a long way in adding realism. Not just in the hands and feet movement, but in the whole body. Nothing happens at exactly the right time aha. 

- When your arms go back, they just stop moving something. They have bend the whole time going back and then there's none. A little bit more movement on the wrist going backwards could go a long way. 

So that's just some quick feedback! Keep it up!

• Forever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forever polycounter lvl 3
    Syncsketch is really good for getting critiques, much better than trying to capture a GIF so try and use that when looking for feedback. 

And no worries! The tools your using are fine and the same tools that all animators use! 
  • Vortakis9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vortakis9 null
    Thanks for your advice EVernier, I will consider and re-upload!
    EVernier said:
    You should upload a front and a side view on syncsketch. It'll be easier to give feedback! Also when you do your anim preview to upload to the site, hide the nurbs controls.

• Vortakis9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vortakis9 null
    Thanks for your advice EVernier, I will consider and re-upload!
    EVernier said:

• HeXiFy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeXiFy polycounter lvl 5
    Your best bet is syncsketch like Evernier said.. You move the camera too much to actually see what's going on.
  • devilcloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devilcloud polycounter lvl 3
    hi, why not use some other better rig and model to animation, a good model can help you to grab the character of the person.