Home Technical Talk

Zbrush UV question

BenJi2D
node
Offline / Send Message
BenJi2D node
Hi there! 
I'm trying to finish my second Zbrush model and I finally have to deal with textures, UV's and normal maps. The problem is I never had to deal with those before and now the frustration is on. 
I have to decimate my model down to under 1mil polys total, to be able to upload to Sketchfab and get the staff pick (they don't pick models over 1mil for staff pick because they cause issues with mobile devices). Problem is that when the model is lower poly the textures on it are pixelated so I need UV's and texture maps (if...I understood correctly). This way, no matter how much I lower my polys, the texture will stay the same. 
Problem is...since yesterday, I can't seem to make a working UV for the cape of my character. I watched 4-5 tutorials, but none of them address my issue, simple because nobody has such noobish messed up mesh like I do. My mash has lot's of those holes and flying around torn up polys -

http://i.imgur.com/nesbDFh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4eWlu1S.jpg

So, I thought that's the problem and I decimated it, zremeshed it and tried to do the UV's on the new one using UV Master (you first do it on a clone and then copy/paste is what I learned) but even then...the UV's look like this - 

http://i.imgur.com/y2r9xxq.jpg

Which is bad because when I add the texture through Zapplink / Photoshop, the logo (texture) projects itself on top of the cape, on the bottom and randomly around the neck...and I want it only on the top of the cape.
I haven't used Symmetry when did the UV's. I tried to use the Protect brush, but that did not help.
I guess I have to do UV maps for every subtool I have if I want to have normal maps...and this will bring hell on earth for me, but that's not important now. One step at a time. Now I have to figure out how to add hi-res texture on this cape, lower its polys by 10 times and keep the textures resolution.
Oh yeah and another thing, I don't have subdivision levels anymore. I still don't perfectly understand how to work with dynamesh and subivisions and all of that. 

Replies

• BenJi2D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenJi2D node
    I tried to use a polygroup when UVing, it separated the area where the logo has to be and I was hoping that the texture will paste at least in that area and not on the neck and collar too...but after copy/paste the UV and make a texture map, it's not the same shape...it's different shape from the flatten UV... I don't know people. I totally don't understand what am I doing and how to do it...it's been 1 week that I'm stuck on this model and can't move on because of this. And no matter how many tutorials I am watching I can't help myself...
  • xeronymau5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xeronymau5 null
    The logo is appearing randomly on your mesh because you have UVs overlapping each other. I would recommend doing your UVs in a separate 3D package using planar projection, then unfold your UVs so they're nice and clean with no overlap. Once you have nice looking UVs you can import the mesh back in on your original mesh's lowest subD level and it should have your new UVs.

Side note: when unfolding UVs, try to imagine you're skinning it like an animal in an attempt to lay it out flat. You want as few seams as possible, but seams are unavoidable if you don't want crazy texture distortion.
  • BenJi2D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenJi2D node
    My mesh doesn't have subD levels :/ I mean...the high poly mesh right now is my only mesh, no levels. I can ofcourse decimate, zremesh and subD it, but that will smoothen out all my sharp details, but it's okay...I'm not lazy, I will remake them.
    I searched here on the forum about UV software and people were recommending a LOT of different software so... as a person who's total noob, I'll just have to take the first software I see and use it.
    By the way...will sunstance painter help here? Maybe not...bcuz, if my overlapping UV's are making problems in Zbrush, they will in Substance painter too :/ 
  • BenJi2D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenJi2D node
    F**k Yeah!! I did it. Unfold3D ! ! Textures work like a charm now...

http://i.imgur.com/OIca1TN.jpg