Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Weird Light Particle Render Problem

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mikonee polycounter lvl 7
Hello there, I have some problems with my final rendering. I hope I do it right, since I'm not used to use polycount. I didn't find any solution either. 

My rendered image has tiny, but many weird spots on it. I'm using 3ds Max 2017 and Vray 3.4.01. I don't know exactly what information you need so just tell me. I hope this is the right place to ask this. You can see the light spots mostly on his feet. 

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    These are called fireflies, which is a type of noise caused by the pixel not having enough samples to converge to the result you want. The solutions to this are either:
    1) Render long enough (with progressive) or give it enough samples (non progressive) that the fireflies disappear.
    2) Use a denoiser.

Think of the process as each pixel slowly getting refined with each pass of the render, as the pixels collect light bouncing off all the objects in the scene at slightly different angles each time. For complex areas of a scene or complex scenes in general this takes longer as the process of exploring these paths is increasingly difficult the more light bounces off objects or scatters through volumes. With the feet this is because of the reflections off the stand beneath it.
  • Mikonee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, you're like my MVP now! Thank you soo much!

I switched from progressive rendering to bucket rendering and it helped! Even if some parts took longer, it actually made the fireflies vanish. Also many thanks for explaining me why they occur and I now understand the problem. Thanks for your time and help! 

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    No problem! I'd also recommend looking into using the denoiser on progressive rendering, when you have the time, as progressive rendering is only becoming more commonplace by the day.

Cheers!
  • Mikonee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advise! I will look into it after I finish my projects :) 

See ya and many thanks!