Home Unreal Engine

Particle effects using cascade for mobile

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

its the first time I create VFX for games and especially mobile in UE4, I have noticed that the frame rate is 18 fps when I run my game on my mobile, because of the particle effects itself. I would really appreciate if someone can give me technical tips when it comes to VFX for mobile in UE4, like what I should avoid doing, or maybe too much emission might make it super expensive?

Some technical hints from the experts will eases everything on me, again i'm still an amateur and learning :))

Thank you :)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The cascade documentation has a clear definition of what you should be careful of.
    - Overdraw should be minimized
    - Shader complexity should be minimized
    - Screen size taken can change performance depending on the previous 2

- Other than this, spawn rate can be optimized
    - Trails are expensove
    - Lot of modules inside one emitter is expensive
    - Lot of overlapping sprites is definitely expensive (overdraw issue)

You can also use the console command "stat particles" to get a bit better view on how expensive they actually are.

Is it for android or IOS?
  • salimmatta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man,

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for you the help btw, I downloaded infinity blade assets on UE4 Library and its for free including an amazing pack of vfx optimized for mobile. The materials and textures were super optimized and simple, unlike mine lol, so I guess I can take the best technical reference for mobile.

Since its our first game we are developing it on Android first since apple are pain in the ass with their restriction rules.