Home Technical Talk

New GPU for Maya user. 1080 or Titan X

RS7
RS7
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RS7 polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

Im looking for a new graphics card for my pc since i have noticed that new versions of Maya viewport has lots of good looking stuff that consumes more gpu power that i currently have. And i'd like to try out some gpu rendering as well in the future (octane, redshift). At the moment, mayas viewport starting to be bit laggy even with fairly small amout of polygons while plugging in anti aliaising, shadows and all that good stuff.
At the moment im using mainly Vray, but it looks like that in the near future Arnold is going to be my main renderer. Besides modeling and rendering, im also doing cloth sim and hair (new xgen) and all that stuff we 3D guys need to do at work : ) My main software: Maya, Zbrush, Mari, Substance, vray/Arnold, Marvelous. I dont play on PC almost at all. 
My current gpu is an old quadro 4000, and im pretty sure everything that is on the market on this date, is going to be far better than my current gpu.
I've noticed that Titan X prices has come down to gtx 1080 (ti) level and it has 3000+ CUDA cores and 12 gigs of ram (compared with cuda 256 and 2gb what i currently have). Or does gtx 1060/1070/1080 give me more bang for the buck? Budget is ofc limited.. 

Basically im looking towards titan x, at the moment. But im asking you guys to bring out pros and cons and share your own view and experience on this matter.

Thanks

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    does not matter those two cards are so close together.... i would grab the 1080 and spend the difference on beer...
  • RS7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RS7 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi! That's oglu said:
    spend the difference on beer...
    Hi!
    That's exactly what im thinking. Since you can get Titan X (maxwell) with about the same price as 1080. 1080ti and titan x pascal is starting to be a bit too pricy for my simple taste.
    Titan X has more CUDA cores than 1080 and 12GB of ram. Does it make a difference? When this CUDA stuff comes to play? Do you see or feel the ~500 core difference? (3000 vs 2500)
    If it helps to render my crystal clear jaw dropping artwork faster the more beer i can consume time and money wise. 

-edit- it is too damn hard to find a good reviews CPU/GPU comparisons which are dedicated only for 3D software (Maya, Max, C4d...render, viewports etc.) 
  • Mad_Llama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, maybe a bit late but if you're still deciding, it all depends on how much you want that extra small performance increase. I think that if you'd go with 1080 or ti you definitely would be very happy with it and you could do complex stuff quite fast. The CUDA cores come into play with GPU rendering, its count important but I don't think that the difference would be trivial. I'd go with the higher tier titan cards only if you have a lot of budget leftover since for most projects it's not that much of an increase (at least yet). And if you're looking for good GPU benchmarks there are various benchmark tables (you can often find something like Octane, 3ds max or Blender benchmarks, searching for more specific stuff often helps)
    Here's one graph http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html 
    It even puts the 1080 in front of the Titan X (that's entirely possible in certain situations). Titan X would beat 1080 only if you'd be using loads of textures and geo and using out all that Vram.
    In the end it's your decision, but both options are great.