Home Technical Talk

How to make good textures ?

Peksio
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Peksio polycounter lvl 4
Hello. I would like to ask You very big question. How to make good textures ?

I am not asking about how to create dirt, scratches, smooths etc. I am asking about WHERE and HOW to place them ?

I found a bunch of tutorials about substance and quixel and they were teaching about genereting masks, about user interface etc. etc. But I still don't know how to make them look good. I don't know where I should place that one scar that will give my model "wow" reaction. I don't know how or when I should "break" stragiht line of my model etc.

Can anyone give me some tips or some tutorial, guides ?

Thanks and Cheers !

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Peksio said:
    I am not asking about how to create dirt, scratches, smooths etc. I am asking about WHERE and HOW to place them ?
    Technically, they can go anywhere. It's more important to think about what is the origin of the model and the plausibility/consistency of it.

Like if you were texturing an abandoned car, you would want to show rust building up where it's more likely for metal to oxidize then in areas where there is no moisture. It's also better to work with or have direct references available instead of trying to 100% conceptualize them on your own.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Understanding where and and why to add certain things to your textures, for example like you said dirt, scratches, etc, is something that becomes easier to understand through practice, observation, studying reference, etc.  You also need to have an idea of what you want your asset to look like.

For example if you're planning to make an oil drum, is it going to be new?  slightly used?  Old and corroded?  Once you've decided what exactly you're trying to make, gather a ton of reference.  The best way to make convincing textures is to study the way things look in the real world.

Another good way to get a better understanding of how common materials look is simply to always be observing how things around you look.  Studying reference photos is good but if you have the ability to hold an object in your hand or move around it and observe how light affects the surface you will develop a better understanding of how things should look and why they look that way.
  • Peksio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peksio polycounter lvl 4
    I kinda get it ... a little. But I was hoping for some "underground" video in which some pro is texturing and giving commentary at the same time.

I am learning a lot when I come to my coworkers, sit beside, look at them when they are working and telling me some random stuff about their workflow. I am looking for something like that but on internet ^^
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Peksio said:
    I kinda get it ... a little. But I was hoping for some "underground" video in which some pro is texturing and giving commentary at the same time.

I am learning a lot when I come to my coworkers, sit beside, look at them when they are working and telling me some random stuff about their workflow. I am looking for something like that but on internet ^^
    The polycount wiki has a good selection of tutorials that goes more into detail. I mostly learned what I know about adding dirt,scratches, rust etc in an ideal manner from the Tracker knife tutorial. The rest came from just observing everyday materials and making a mental note of how those surfaces came to be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mMgHdKC7h0
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    a lot of people dont think about texturing the way they should. you have to remember its still a piece of art. I think what your actually looking for is illustration theory. such as composition, color theory, level of detail and focal points.

treat it like its a 2D illustration, and look for information on those things instead of the texturing aspect as much.

I do recommend this read though.
    its the guidelines for DOTA 2 Asset creation, I think there is a lot of good macro knowledge there, even if your not going for that style id say 90% of it can be implemented to any workflow/style.
  • Peksio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peksio polycounter lvl 4
    Thank You, (sorry for late response). If anyone have any other links or advices to help me in my struggle I will be gratefull ^^