Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

help with sword material

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
aceofspades230 polycounter lvl 5
so I've been working on this fantasy sword, but having issues with getting the material right on the blade. any critique would be much appreciated

Replies

• mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Hi there. Curious, what are you using to texture? Seems a lot of your materials are pretty flat and don't have much in the ways of a roughness or metalness map. 

I suggest reading up a bit on materials. Some great resources here on this site under the Wiki. Also, if you aren't using Substance Painter, I suggest looking into it. It will really help you get some great starting results fast that you can build off of. It's also great for learning and understanding materials and texturing better.
  • aceofspades230
    Offline / Send Message
    aceofspades230 polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for the critique. It definitely is flat which is my problem. I will definitely be following those tutorials. i was taught with UE3 and I've been teaching myself UE4 as i'm using it. Here is the screenshot of the materials I was using for the different parts of the sword.

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Unfortunately you'll have to essentially throw the majority of the UE3 stuff. Do research into how materials are handled in PBR in general and then UE4 specifically (this order will give you a good sense of direction). You really, I stress, really, do not want to use the specular input unless you very are 110% sure you know what you are doing. Everything specular can generally be handled with metalness and roughness.

For instance, though it technically allows you to, metallic does not actually take a color texture. It is a greyscale value. Same deal with the Specular input.