Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2018, I am afraid Max demise will accelerate.

Replies

• kiki88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad that quite lot of people use and recommend Modo. I started with Lightwave, long time ago, and other suites kinda didnt fit me at all... Max especially, with its clunky slow workflow, for me it felt completely anti artistic. Cinema or Blender better, along with Maya, but nothing really satisfying. Then i found Modo, using it since 103, and i am absolutely loving it, even in times, when it was tiny little piece of software, compared to massive bundles, it was so smooth, to create with it all i needed. When i needed animations, i had to return to good old LW. That was not so long phase, Modo was developing so fast.
    IMO workflow and intuitiveness are most important for creation. Modo so excells in those. And (just an opinion) Max is absolute worst of all suites out there in these aspects.
    Its just problematic, if you cooperate with more people, majority still uses only Max, are sworn to it, for wth reason, not even aware of reality, that there is bunch of suites, doing things way better.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    kiki88 said:
    I am glad that quite lot of people use and recommend Modo. I started with Lightwave, long time ago, and other suites kinda didnt fit me at all... Max especially, with its clunky slow workflow, for me it felt completely anti artistic. Cinema or Blender better, along with Maya, but nothing really satisfying. Then i found Modo, using it since 103, and i am absolutely loving it, even in times, when it was tiny little piece of software, compared to massive bundles, it was so smooth, to create with it all i needed. When i needed animations, i had to return to good old LW. That was not so long phase, Modo was developing so fast.
    IMO workflow and intuitiveness are most important for creation. Modo so excells in those. And (just an opinion) Max is absolute worst of all suites out there in these aspects.
    Its just problematic, if you cooperate with more people, majority still uses only Max, are sworn to it, for wth reason, not even aware of reality, that there is bunch of suites, doing things way better.
    I'm an ex-Max user but there are plenty of reasons people should still use Max:
    Best Splines in a software out there
    Plenty of plugins and scripts thanks to it being the most popular
    Simple to understand non-destructive edits thanks to it's modifier stack (Which still outclasses Modo's procedural stack, though it's catching up)
    Coherent UI, it's not pretty but when you've learnt where a few things are you have everything you need at your fingertips

Plenty of valid reasons not to want to use Max too but I just thought I'd point out a couple of the key features that to me, no other software has beaten yet.
  • Nixellion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
    I personally don't have that much problems with Maya or Max workflows, I guess I'm fairly comfortable with either one of them, from modeling to rigging and animation, scripting, and fx. Some things are faster in Max, some things are faster in Maya, in some cases it's not a direct comparison, as one can give you advantage in the short term, and another one can give you a long term advantage. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job, and I'm happy that I can work with both of them.

But one huge problem I have with max at this exact moment is it's stability. It. Just. Keeps. Crashing! At least the 2018 version, just won't stop doing it, every few minutes it crashes while animating Biped. I wonder if using Synergy has something to do with it, or if it's just max 2018's problem.

And another problem is how long it takes to save a file. In max a lot of studios still don't use references, that could be one reason why each save takes so much time. Where's in maya, with referenced rig, saving is almost instant, because it only saves your relative changes, not the whole scene.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Michael, 2018 is pretty stable. I'm not familiar with Synergy, but if you have something reproducible, I would love to collect scene files or data from where you are having issues. You can report a problem and include my name, and I'd be happy to look into it.

You can log a report here. 
    http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/report_a_bug.html?SelProduct=3dsMax

Thanks!
    Martin
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Nixellion said:
    But one huge problem I have with max at this exact moment is it's stability. It. Just. Keeps. Crashing! At least the 2018 version, just won't stop doing it, every few minutes it crashes while animating Biped. I wonder if using Synergy has something to do with it, or if it's just max 2018's problem.

For me, Max has always been one of the most stable programs I've ever used. As somebody who's been using it daily since R4 I can honestly say that it rarely crashes. 2018 is no different for me stability-wise.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Our small studio is currently transitioning to Blender since we cannot afford 3ds max subscription any longer. Knowing that most indie game have almost zero chance of making money this was a necessity and also a reality check for us. We were also using Mudbox as our sculpting and painting  app but  we ran into many problems and Mudbox mesh import is so finicky and navigating the viewport is pure pain. So we found ourselves using Sculptris more than Mudbox for sculpting and we switch the painting to Algorithmic painter. Blender sculpting capabilities seem to match Mudbox except for the auto retopo but maybe someone will come up with a similar feature for Blender.

Not going to hide the fact that we are going to be missing some pretty neat tools from 3ds max but Blender seem to have everything we need for our workflow and Eevee is a big reason we want to switch. Blender 2.8 could become a game changer i think.

I am a 17 years veteran who has mainly use Autodesk products.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 7
    I can safely say max is probably the most stable DCC out there.
    We usually deal with tens of thousand objects with easily more than 10 million and most plugins you can imagine.

• SebKaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebKaine polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys , very interesting thread.  i'm strike by the fact that from many feedback it looks that Modeling in Maya is just the worst idea one man can have except shooting himself with a gun. I personally love the fact that Maya allow you to work in Nurbs and Poly , nobody mention this ... and i guess because nobody use nurbs anymore today. But Modo / Blender / Max are all very poly oriented, Maya coming from strong alias background always have a good set of nurbs tool. That's a very good point imo. 
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 7
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    gandhics said:
    Here is some interesting post about. Modo/Blender/Max.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/stackthis/permalink/673139389699227/
    The only thing that surprises me there is that Modo viewport is on par with Blender. :)

Max was pushing the same amount of polys 10 years ago as Modo pushes today.