Home Technical Talk

Proper workflow for creating Materials that work with multiple meshes?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Recker polycounter lvl 6

Hello, So I’ve done some minor research but I haven’t been able to find anything really solid about creating meshes for use in a game engine – Unreal Engine 4 to be exact, and what I was looking for was how to create materials that would be seamless for multiple mesh types. Does this just boil down to making sure the uvs of the individual meshes match the textures? Would there always be some form of seam on the meshes and their materials based on the unwrap?

The way I have been doing my meshes and materials thus far was just having each mesh have unique textures that only work for those meshes. Is this a proper workflow?

I do see a lot of people creating tileable materials, but I always assumed that was for simple geometry, like creating a concrete ground tiling material for a flat plane for use in engine.

Basically I’m just looking for some pointers or maybe guides that can push me in the right direction for creating game assets while also keeping fairly optimised rather than creating unique textures for each mesh.

Thanks in advance.