Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thanos WIP.

fdd_vfx
null
Offline / Send Message
fdd_vfx null
Hey guys, this is my Thanos, largely inspired by the XM statue (ref below). I am getting back on the-sculpting-characters-horse and trying again to make a non-human character. I would hope someone with experience in beefy dudes could give me some advice on my proportions, it's a constant struggle for me (not that I am a pro at anatomy yet anyways). Of course, this is WIP. I am not trying to get an exact match with the original but instead, I am using the statue as a concept to work from as I have very little free time.

I'll be working the clothing folds later once most of the rest is in place. The gloves need love but I am just laying out pieces and cleaning up. All props will end up being re-modeled in Maya or Max. I don't have the ZB hard-surface skills just yet.

C&C is welcome.

Replies

• ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hes looking good. A couple of things:

- His head seems pretty big, I think you have the general thick/muscled humonoid moster proportions down, but the large head is making him read as pretty short. Im not saying like a hulk sized mini head or anything, but scaling it down a bit to make him feel a little taller might help.

- An anatomy thing, but the rectus femoris is a little too low. By having yours low, you are creating an X shape where the vastus lateralis and medialis meet the knee cartiledge. Bringing it up so that the lateralis and medialis create a bit of a intersection that leads to where the femoris inserts might help. I might not be explaining it well, so maybe google some bodybuilders.

- From a google search of the comics, it seems like he has a fairly pronounced labii inferioris (I think thats the right one), the muscles that sit below the lips on either side of the mouth, and create the groove of the upper chin. I'll attach an image, but you'll be able to see the pronounced 1/2 goggle like shape that it produces (literally goes 2/3rds the way to his jawline.

hes legit looking good though, even at the block-in.
  • fdd_vfx
    Offline / Send Message
    fdd_vfx null
    All very valid points, thx for the critique! 1) Made head smaller. 2) Made shoulder pad narrower 3) Addressed the rectus femoris being too low + vastus medialis and lateralis bigger and 4) fixed the mouth by giving him some proper lips.