Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rose and Luca - Overwatch Duo

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mazz8 polycounter lvl 4
Hey you beautiful people.

For the next few months I really want to spend some time exploring a pair of characters that would fit into the Overwatch world. The first one is Valeriy Vegera's Rose(https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VDrdZ). I chose her because in the game's world, I envision her working alongside Luca, which would be my own design, for a less heroic organization like Talon or Null Sector. Since they're younger and learning to be 'villains', their operations would be more hijack/intel/spionage focused and less destructive as opposed to a team like Widow and Reaper.

The purpose of this project is to demonstrate that I can execute someone's concept but also come up with my own so that I can bring myself a tad closer to one day be able to work at an amazing game like Overwatch. I haven't picked yet, but I would like to run one of the two through Gilberto Magno's workshop which I'll be participating in soon.

ANYWAYS, my intent with this thread is to open myself up to the critique of all the talented folk here. I want to push this style to the best of my ability, so don't be afraid to absolutely tear my work apart. If my ideas are boring please let me know. Anything ideas that you would like to share, even about their story, I would be more than stoked to hear it. Below is the base of their personalities I have built so far:

Luca:

As a child, Luca had endless energy and a knack for precise movement. Unfortunately, his extremely wealthy single dad was absent and he was mostly left to fend for himself. Although having no necessity for money, he would use his talent for theft out of fun, never getting caught. Having never been to school, Luca had a street education. His favorite thing to do is to stylishly climb the highest buildings he can find and to occasionally mess with the Omnic civilians who are too slow to react to him. At the age of 17, a Holywood talent agent saw how swiftly Luca could parkour through the urban landscape and offered him a gig as a stunt actor. Being a prodigy, he quickly got to work with the biggest films coming out of Hollywood. He grew very disgusted at the ego games being played by the high-profile celebrities and directors treating everyone below them as inferior people. He decided to make a hobby out of breaching into the wealthiest of the wealthy and stealing silly things like hats and TV remotes. It was all fun and games for him, as he was never taught to be a civilian. Talon took notice of who he was and approached him looking for an agent. Naively, he took the offer just looking for more excitement. Now he runs missions across the globe, working alongside Rose to figure out the whereabouts of Overwatch agents.

Did a paintover on an older version with my glorious 2d skills to try and figure out what I want. I want him to vaguely resemble Rose in his design in the sense that he's got a half jacket and cybernetic elements in his body. The contraption on his face would be kind of a Deus Ex visor but not set on it yet. I like the idea of some sort of gymnastics suit because of the nature of what he does. Also I need to think of what makes him unique and distinguishable from the cast. Maybe something that shows he is boyish. When it comes to weapons, I'm thinking of two small baton-like devices that can materialize shapes out of each end much like Symmetra's light architecture. He can make rings and bars 
much like the equipments a Gymnast would interact with to higher enhance his natural mobility. Or a lazer knife that also acts as an electric gun.

Rose:

With Rose I have yet to come up with a story. I probably won't since she is already someone else's creation and she is the project I'm using to show I can execute a concept. All I know is that she works with Luca and she's somewhat older.

I've started playing around with her hair but not finding much that I like yet. 

That is it for now. My goal is to be disciplined with this project in the next couple months and post my progress here. Looking forward to interacting with yall peeps. 

Replies