Home Technical Talk

Should I limit my viewport framerate?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bleed polycounter lvl 8
Hopefully it's a valid and not too stupid question, but if it goes above the monitor's refresh rate, isn't it just wasting frames/power?
By limiting I mean using something like RivaTuner Statistics Server on the program's executable for example.

Are there any benefits to this, or could it cause issues etc.?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might depend on which application. For Unreal/Unity, I'd probably say yes, and that it would most likely cause issues in other programs.

Maya for example, uses a few different "styles" for overlays, and the viewport is completely idle if nothing is playing.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    This is a very difficult question to answer.

As Throttlekitty said, it depends on applications. Limiting FPS may cause errors. Depending on how the software was built it may or may not give you any optimization by limiting the FPS. If the software has built in "Limit FPS", I would feel more safe using that compared to a third party software.

Using the little programming knowledge that I have, I came to the following conclusions:
    * Limiting the software FPS would for the most part be a minimum gain for you.
    * If the software was created by a larger "company", for example: Epic, Autodesk, Adobe. The software should be as optimized as it can get. (This is just speculation, but should be valid for the most part.)
    * Testing would be the key to your answers. Try different setups in order to figure out whats best for you.
    If you find something of interest, I would love to hear it!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I know in some games, limiting the frame rate to 60 fps for example, can cause it to dip below 60 fps more often than it would if it was uncapped, or capped at a higher number. 
  • Bleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bleed polycounter lvl 8
    I was thinking of applying it to 3ds max and even Blender, but It may cause problems.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Bleed I would personally test it and see if it works well... In the worst case scenario, just remove the cap. :blush: