Home Technical Talk

Edge loops foot

Coffeehouse
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Coffeehouse vertex
Hello,

I am at retopology at the moment. I checked out the Wiki on Polycount too already but i am getting mixed suggestions . Maybe there is not only one solution ...

I was unhappy with how my feet turned out and decided id just model them as box modeling from a cube like this:

Now it seems that he used tris instead of quads between the toes. I cannot really make it out.

I always read to avoid tris and ngons for animation, but yet some people seem to purposely use them for creases and such.

Would it be better to use (smartly placed) tris or stick to quads exclusively and just reduce edgeloops (from foot area up to leg for example) like this https://i.stack.imgur.com/qpJU6.png 
I am never sure where to put those. Probably in not so visible places (where would that be?!) that do not need to bend.

Thanks
Jens 

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either way works, I wouldn't shy away from ngons. I rig and skin characters all the time and ngons aren't problematic, in a lot of cases they are ideal. You do need to be mindful of how it will triangulate because that can cause issues but that is really easy to manage.  

Most of the time I focus on weight painting and don't give a flying fig about edge loops unless they cause a problem. It can be helpful to select rings and loops and set their weights but I don't do that all that often any more and it's a minor gripe if selecting a ring or loop doesn't go perfectly according to plan. It really isn't anything worth grumbling about to modelers and forcing them to do crazy convoluted workflows.

It really helps when modelers are familiar with the process and know what kind of results they'll get from the choices they make. So yea, try out both, take it all the way to completion and see what works best for you and your team.
  • Coffeehouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coffeehouse vertex
    Thank you Mark!