Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ryan Gilbert - WIP and polished work.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TheRealRyan_ polycounter lvl 2
Hello, and welcome. Feel free to critique and comment what ever i post. Hell, rip it apart, its the only way i can get better :) 
1:1 reply's yalll. Check out my art station here to see my full projects and more! https://www.artstation.com/therealryan_

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Hi, don't take this the wrong way, but you're not noticing a lot of the subtlety, shape and form that makes these concepts and references you've chosen 'cool'. Character art is extremely scrutinized, perhaps unfairly so compared to anything else, and the bar is really set high.

Personally, I would slow down, have a good dose of patience, hone your artistic eye to be aware of aesthetics, and really get those anatomy basics under your belt. You're doing a disservice to yourself if you rush ahead and make sloppy work. I think you're capable of more.

I see most of the basic forms in the concept art and references transferred to your sculpts, but unfortunately there's little resemblance and artistic sense when shown side to side.

Some tips on the current character though, if you want to rig and animate her I'd suggest rotating her wrists; so her thumbs and index fingers are facing forwards. Also, probably move her arms up some more, spread her legs more, and put a slight bend in her knees and hips to help facilitate running, sitting, etc.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    can only agree with the above. @zetheros on point as usual.
    my only thing to add would be to not show a dark character against a dark background unless you're trying to hide the features.
  • TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both @zetheros and @Elithenia. I will go over the model and adjust the forms. Truth be told I have been very lazy with this project. I agree I was rushing this project massively (a bad habit i thought i shook off), I dont plan to animate this just pose it for a some renders for my portfolio, I normally do have the hands set with the thumbs pointing forward, truth be told I dont know I made the base model with them to the side . But i still have a long way to go with this model. 
    Thanks again, I will keep you updated once I have some progress. 

• TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!
    Been a very long time since I last posted. I moved out of games for a couple months to work and earn some money. I have been doing some character art in my spare time but now I am re-dedicating my time and effort into games. I am planning on posting here more regularly with updates and new artwork! 

So to start, here are some WIP shots of a project I am working on for my friend's album cover. 
    WIP C&C welcome and appreciated!

• TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the model. spent a ton of time working on the arms and chest forms and the skin details in some parts. Still needs work. But here are some artsy renders I made to test out the model scene. 

• TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a break down of the model I am working on#

• TheRealRyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a load of progress on the model now. here are some updates on the WIP. :) CC, please! ( the eyes/& textures need some work to be the right size but are placeholders atm. ) 
  • TheRealRyan_