Home Contests & Challenges Archives 3Daily 2017

3Daily - Heat Ice

HeatIce
null
Offline / Send Message
HeatIce null
I've started learning 3D a few weeks ago so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get some practice! I started with blender but when I learnt about the student Maya license I switched over, that was two days ago and Maya is being a tough mistress so far, a lot more difficult to work with than blender but I guess that's just because I have to get used to it.

Anyways, here is my first model. It's a low poly stylized rock, I've had some issue with the normals that I cannot troubleshoot more than I already have and since I'm running out of time for today and I really want to start this, I'll let it slide and hopefully come back and fix it once I have the neccesary knowledge... The normals look very good in Maya Hardware (Viewport) but they look really bad when rendered, so that kinda sucks. This model in particular sits at 122 verts.

And here for the failed render everyone was waiting for:

Replies

• HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null
    Today I could work a lot earlier than yesterday so here we go, I got a low poly Torii gate. I took the chance to fiddle around a bit with the Toon shading options in Maya, I think the look could be more refined (Better color selection and a texture). The model is nicely UV unwrapped but in the end I decided to not use the texture I painted since I wasn't happy with the result.

• HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null
    Back at it again, this time with an stylized Japanese-shrine lampost. The model ended up with more tris than I'd like, sitting at 1000 tris it's on the edge of low poly.

• HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null
    I haven't had much time to 3D today, so I'll just upload the little i've got done to not leave the day empty but today mesh is part of tomorrow's (hopefully tomorrow i'll have the time) . It's one of those cleaning things found on shinto shrines. The model is around 240 verts and i could probably reduce it further.

• HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null
    Today I decided to go for something more organic and completely different altogether, so this is what i'm working on right now.
  • HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null

Today I've been messing with some stylized hair today but still not getting the look I want.
  • HeatIce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatIce null
    Progressing slower than I would like with this one, today i've spent most of the day figuring out the hair and how different workflows work with that, I still haven't managed to get it just how I want it but it will come.

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hi man, i noticed your model has that line in the middle that is a result of bad symmetry. Make sure the symmetry weld threshold is high enough, weld all your unwelded verts and always use smoothing techniques above your symmetry modifier. Enjoy the process!