Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Mesh Groups and Colour IDs

Happles
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Happles polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys having  a bit of an issue with my Mesh groups and color IDs in DDO.

Its been a couple of months since I used DDO for a project, but I don't recall having these issues before, but anyway I'll just list them:

a) Color IDs only working for one mesh group. Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't it possible if two mesh groups are using the same Color ID, if I add a material to one ID it should add it to all the same IDs in each mesh group?

b) In 3DO only one mesh group is showing . One mesh group displays materials and textures perfectly fine. When I add materials to any of the other mesh groups, and I can see them in photoshop it will not display them in 3DO - just the default gray.

Maybe its an issue with my mesh and materials that I imported?

I'm importing a single triangulated .obj, composed of four different meshes - each with their own material.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Each mesh group is treated as a separate object. Whatever you do to one group will need to be mirrored to the other group, if both groups are intended to be on the same texture sheet in the end. That said, why are you working with two identical models with two groups? It would be an easier workflow to combine them before exporting if they're all on the same UV set.

If you can't see your other mesh group textures in 3DO, it could be due to low VRAM. If your system meets or somewhat exceeds the minimum requirements for SUITE (GTX 600 (equivalent) or better, 8 GB of RAM) then it's probably due to having too many large-res textures (4k and above) at once.
  • Happles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each mesh group is treated as a separate object. Whatever you do to one group will need to be mirrored to the other group, if both groups are intended to be on the same texture sheet in the end. That said, why are you working with two identical models with two groups? It would be an easier workflow to combine them before exporting if they're all on the same UV set.

If you can't see your other mesh group textures in 3DO, it could be due to low VRAM. If your system meets or somewhat exceeds the minimum requirements for SUITE (GTX 600 (equivalent) or better, 8 GB of RAM) then it's probably due to having too many large-res textures (4k and above) at once.
    Hey appreciate the reply and I understand what you re saying about the mesh groups. 

However I am not working with two identical models, what I meant by meshes is the head, body, eyes etc parts of my model that have separate uvws.

Basically I have separate uvws/texture sheets for the head, body, eyes, caps - those four different meshes have their own materials applied to them. Issue is only the body mesh group is displaying textures in 3DO.

I have a pretty decent computer (GTX 1070 8gb VRAM, 16gb Ram  i7 4.0 GHz etc) so I don't think its a display issue. 
  • Happles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, now it's suddenly showing up when I deleted and added a new material. Really weird, but seems to be working now.

Edit: Nevermind suddenly disappeared again when I edited the material's channel texture intensity. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Alright, so the next question is what version of Photoshop and SUITE you're running would be.
  • RondoOO_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RondoOO_B null
    THIS IS FOR MAYA USERS:

So I'm sure you guys have found your solutions, so this comment may be a bit late, but I figure it may help some who are STILL having the same issue.

Not sure if it is a bug in DDO, or Maya 2017 (I'll lean toward the latter, since it is generally trash, but I'm stuck with it due to implementing the Time Editor into our workflow), but I still get two mesh groups when importing my OBJ into DDO, even when I group all the meshes in Maya.  BUT, I found a fix:  Under the Group (in Maya), parent all other Meshes to the first mesh (in the outliner) within that group, then export your OBJ.  This forces DDO to only read as one mesh since they are all parented to one.  You should have no issues previewing your color ID in 3DO now.