Home Career & Education

Asset Creation Speed

Hi guys,

We're always working with freelancers on our project. The speed isn't really up to my taste (not to devalue their work). For example in case of weapons we usually get 2 weapons done per month. (that is if they work full time).

I personally don't have any experience with having hired an AAA artist to work full time in-house so I wanted to check with you and figure out how much we'll gain on speed if we do that. i.e how many typical weapons can an AAA weapon artist get done in a month?

Thanks in advance.
Ali

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    For example in case of weapons we usually get 2 weapons done per month. (that is if they work full time).

What type of weapons?
    How complex are the weapons?
    Are they historical or modern weapons?
    Is customization supported? If so, to what level?
    Do internals need to be built?
    Do UVs need to be built in a particular way?
    Do you need a second UV set on the model?
    Separate first and third person models?
    About what polycount is being targeted?
    How much time is spent ensuring the blockout looks good in first person?
    How does the rigging and animation process work? 
    Do you have a texturing pipeline in place?

All of these can quickly add time to the asset creation process. 1 weapon in 2 weeks could be a great speed. It's hard to just give a blanket yes or no statement to your question without more information.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    For example in case of weapons we usually get 2 weapons done per month. (that is if they work full time).

What type of weapons?
    How complex are the weapons?
    Are they historical or modern weapons?
    Is customization supported? If so, to what level?
    Do internals need to be built?
    Do UVs need to be built in a particular way?
    Do you need a second UV set on the model?
    Separate first and third person models?
    About what polycount is being targeted?
    How much time is spent ensuring the blockout looks good in first person?
    How does the rigging and animation process work? 
    Do you have a texturing pipeline in place?

All of these can quickly add time to the asset creation process. 1 weapon in 2 weeks could be a great speed. It's hard to just give a blanket yes or no statement to your question without more information.
    Realistic
    Moderate complexity
    WW2 era
    No customization
    No internals
    Nothing particular about UVs
    No second UV
    No separate first and third person models
    Our M1 Trench Gun is 7200 tris - Generally around there
    Almost no time spent on ensuring it looks good in first person
    Rigging and animation is handled by an animator
    Standard texturing workflow (Using quixel or substance painter) and no special setup

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Two weeks sounds about right from start to finish with those specs. It *could* be quicker (5-7 days if the gun is simple) but two weeks is a reasonable timeframe. 

Even if you cut it down to 7 days, that's still only 3 per month while risking quality and burning your animator(s) out in the process.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep exactly what RyRyB said. I think for the trench gun and similar assets, you're looking at a solid 2 week time frame (10 working days). 
    Of course a simple pistol may take less time than a rifle or LMG.
    To add: As soon as polycount, texture size, complexity, etc goes up, time can add on fairly quickly. For example, going from 2k to 4k can be a pretty big headache. Saves take longer, exports take longer, etc. If you do bring someone in house, you may be able to save on texture time by setting up a good material library in Painter which can be re-used from asset to asset. 
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Just modelling, unwrapping and texturing a weapon (a prop, really) to specification/concept without animation?

2 weeks is maximum - this would be an outsourced hero asset. i'd be looking at 7 days at most really for an average model.

8 hours blockout / rapid back and forth iteration between client and you (ensuring that everything will work and work will not have to be redone when you find out at the end)
    16 hours of proper modelling/unwrapping,
    16 hours texturing.

There's a full 40 hour work-week for a single average model. That's actually a lot! But I'd settle for it. Double for hero asset, I guess.

This doesn't mean all assets take that long though, but as a guide i think its fair enough to both sides.

In future be sure to iron this out before they start work, there should be a section of the contract that stipulates time requirements!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I wouldnt call a M1 trench gun moderate complexity, I would say thats pretty much as simple as it goes almost when it comes to guns. 

Speed when modelling guns is also a lot up to how finnicky you want to be with exact detailing tbh. Takes longer to sit and nag over correct rivet placement on a ww1 gun than it takes to model half a scifi rifle depending on how annoying your art director is :D 

Very hard to make estimates on guns imho, since they are often so dependant on interaction with other disciplines. Just making a mesh doesnt take very long though.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Sometimes being a freelancer over full-time is a choice done by some personal circumstances.  A child to care for , for example.       Good artists sometimes want to do their own art projects   and work for hire part time only.          If the quality of work is good and you think  it worth the money maybe better  to hire one more freelancer, than speed up a good one.     If you think you would do it quicker , just pay accordingly and perhaps he/she would want to do it quicker too.
    My estimation is 3 weapons per month  with really full time  work .    

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Don't pick on the freelancers man. we are often former full time guys.:)
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Not a weapon guy myself but I saw how weapon guys worked fulltime outsourcing for AAA project. Good gun took them 12-25 days. Depending on complexity. It was modern real life guns, not sci-fi.
    So if you are working on some nice FPS 2 guns per month is quite good speed.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Thanks everyone. :)