Home Technical Talk

Errors while Baking Normal Map in xNormal/Incorrect Meshes for Normal Map baking.

So I've read a thread by visoutre about all kinds of problems with baking normal maps in xNormal which was posted a few years ago, but the solutions given there weren't that much of a help to me, so I assume that I am doing wrong something else. I fastly modeled a cave like thing in ZBrush and exported the High and the Low Poly to Maya 2017, did some clean and made some UVs. As I baked the High poly in xNormal (v3.19) I first got a result like this:

So I went back and fixed some more deformed faces, which actually werent in the area of the Normal map deformation. After this the bake was better but still there are areas which are sampled extremely bad:
I tried baking with all edges as soft edges and all edges as hard edges but still I got the same Result. The model is pretty big so I already tried baking a 4K map which didn't do the trick either. I assume that the problem lays somewhere within the Vertex Normals, because if I switch the move tool to normal mode and select the verts of the LowPoly they got scattered all around the place but Maya actually displays them as they should be. What might be helpful to know is that my model is fairly high poly with 2.9 Mil. Tris on the High Poly and 12K Tris on the Low Poly. I also thought that this might be a Problem of to many Rays crossing each other and resulting in this strange sample but the Error occurs also in areas like this:
which is almost absolut flat with a few scratches on it. At last I tried an OBJ and an FBX Export with almost exactly the same Results.

I appreciate every helpful comment if you need some more Information just ask. Thanks in advance and have a nice day. :)