Home Technical Talk

High poly model to Low Model Help

null
Hi!  I just had a few questions on taking a high poly model and transferring the details to a low poly model.  I'm trying to understand and learn how to efficiently do hard surface modeling in ZBrush using Zmodeler, so i decided on starting with a simple barrel and I'm having a bit of trouble.  I'm building this model to be used as a videogame asset.

High Poly Model:
7863 Polys

Low Poly Model:
2854 Polys

• Should the models be the same Subtool and the high poly model being a higher subdivision? (I ask this because the method I used to get the barrel ridges was a bit... unconventional :# .  This is just a bunch of segments merged into one subtool.)

• Should the model be "fused" together with no inner polys or should it be made in separate parts like a real life object?  (Below)

I just really want the wood paneling on the high poly model to be on the low poly and to learn the method to retopologize as the main goal.

The tutorials I found online were mostly geared towards retopologizing organic characters rather than hard surface props.  Any advice or link to any tutorials that would help me would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Replies