Home Technical Talk

3D Hardsurface practise methods?

Liamrace27
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Liamrace27 vertex
I was wondering how you guys actually practice hardsurface modelling. So that I can be more efficient with my practice. Do you model specific elements of an object, complete a full model etc?
Thanks.

Replies

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    It really depends on what you are wanting to improve on...

If it's organic hard surface...find something organic and hard surface to practice.
    If it's mechanical...find something mechanical to practice.

Full projects are great, but smaller focused projects can be just as beneficial. For example, I don't particularly enjoy modeling in my free time, so I tend to choose smaller projects that are material/texture-focused.

I think the important aspect is to practice with a deliberate, specific purpose in mind.

2 cents!
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    After some years of practice, learning how to solve some problems like pinching, edge flows problems that appears in HardSurface especially on organic models that you want hard surface details, i suggest starting to combine that workflow with Modo`s meshfusion or CAD apps like fusion 360 etc.

This programs will help you build so fast hard surface models, but as i said you should learn first how sub-D works and how to solve pinching errors, edge flows etc. Practice is the key!

And rembemer to have fun!!!
  • Sharur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharur polycounter lvl 2
    After trying a traditional Poly, Sub-D and Sculpting, I've arrived to a conclusion that Poly and Sub-D are much more comfortable to work with. You have much more control. Hard Surface Sculpting is a pain in the neck, however, a lot of people like it. I guess, it's up to you.