Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mecha Mask Mercy design.

Draggle
null
Offline / Send Message
Draggle null
Hello.
I am both new in this place and in 3D design in general (well, kinda). I started modeling about a year ago. Everything I know I learned on my own by using Youtube Tutorials and such things. Only recently I started feeling confident enough in trying some more serious models, and this one was one of them.

It was originally an artwork made by a traditional artist called "yehching".
The original image I used as a reference is this:

Now, as for the model itself, here are both the finished images and a picture of the wireframe, so you could see how it was formed and if there were any issues with it:

Wireframe:

Finished product:

The model was made entirely using Blender and Photoshop. The final images were taken in Unity by using Unity's lightmap baking system. The reason I did not use Blender was because I am way less familiar with its lighting system than Unity's.

The model was made keeping game design in mind. Which means I tried to keep the polycount as low as possible. (7,648 tris in total for this one) And the texture sizes are 2048x2048. I probably could've went a bit lower or gotten a bit more detail out of it, but that's something I need to practice more.

So I would like some feedback and criticism on this. If you have any suggestions and such, I would like to hear them.
Thank you!

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Sad to say, but I'm afraid this piece isn't working out so well for you.

The mecha part is way too big and clunky, and not sleek like in the concept.
    Anatomy part is also pretty weak. Biggest blunder is the eye corners. Though I suspect her general shape of the head is off as well as planes of her face.
    And the hair........ Yeah, no.

Now, if you want to improve on this; first work on just her head + face. Then together we will make new and better hair. And then the mecha parts on top of her skin.
  • Draggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draggle null
    Alright. Thank you for your feedback.
    I knew the hair was bad, but I didn't realize the rest was so bad, too.

Keeping what you said in mind, I am willing to start over and improve this thing.

I went ahead and reworked the head mesh. It was the one I used from the very beginning, and I made it into a high poly sculpt which I plan to do retopology on later on. I tried to adjust the corners of the eyes as well as the general shape of the head.
    Maybe don't pay too much attention to the ears right now (Other than maybe their position), because it is very much a completely new thing that I need to practice more, which I am well aware of. Not to mention they won't be visible for this particular model anyway.

So anyway, here's how it looks.

And the reference pictures I used, along with various googled photos of female heads, are these:

Is there something I still need to improve?