Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush bulky body shape critique

mesmurus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mesmurus polycounter lvl 4
Just started editing a body shape to look more "bulky". any tips or critique is welcome

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What's your reference?

Also, try not to use Red Wax Matcap for presentation.  It's not the most neutral matcap, like a gray clay one.
  • mesmurus
    Offline / Send Message
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    You are using someone else's work as a reference. Just call it your goal. Reference should be objectively true (even though this model is pretty good). Use some proper anatomy/form references. It's always better to do something you understand. If you just copy shapes from this model you don't even know why are you doing it. Is it a muscle is it a bone? Unless you have a really good knowledge about anatomy you can't really tell what and why. Also usually it's better to block out the whole character and then add details like muscles.
  • mesmurus
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thank you. it was hard to find actual reference for this sculpt because i couldn't seem to find the right body shape i wanted, i didn't want a body builder but i didn't know what to call this body type? any idea?
  • braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    braintrain polycounter lvl 7
    I think you might be searching for 'corpulent' male bodies.
    To me your reference looks like an old heavy weight wrestler or some sort.. So I think searching in this area might also give you some good reference;)
    Looking at the side view you might want to revisit the shape of the stomach. For a more obese person the shape should be rounder. And I would recommend you to move back the crotch because it feels like sticking out too far. Hope this is helpful:)
    And I totally agree with MrOneTwo!

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Chubby? I guess finding good photos of a guy like that will be harder than finding pics of a hot girl... You can use this as a reference of the proportions and overall body type. Just be sure to check different ones also. When you are sculpting an arm find some good anatomy/construction references so you can confidently put masses in right places.