Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Studies - Heads Sculpting

Jaywyr
null
Offline / Send Message
Jaywyr null
Hello guys, it's my first topic here. Actually I'm a environment artist but I'll want to be character artist next year. So now I train head sculpting like Selwy with his head studies. 
Your feedbacks will be precious for me :D Let's GOOO !

Well ! I going to start by a bust serie of 4 characters in Penny Dreadfull : Miss Ives, Etan Chander,  Sir Malcolm Murray and  Dr Victor Frankenstein (Maybe Dorian Grey = 5).

The first study is Vennessa Ives :

Perspective view :

And somes reference images :

Thank you in advance for yourfeedbacks :DD

Replies

• Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    The strokes are still noticable, you could smooth it out a bit.
  • Jaywyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr null
    Thank you Leinadien :)

An udapte : 

Female face is so difficult, I am a little slowly :'( 

Feedbacks are welcome :pleased:
  • Jaywyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr null
    Hello guys, I update my post :D even if i dont have feedback that help me to be motivated to post here!

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    nice!
    can i ask, is the head Dynamesh? is it possible to show the polyframe?

i've been studying and trying to learn Zbrush head modeling, and always want to know the underlying topology, general mesh structure but most people never display the polyframe.

sorry i can't really give any crits, because it looks great to me and you've really captured the likeness. nothing i can really crit with my limited knowledge. 

thanks
  • Jaywyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaywyr null
    Hi vavavoom, It's a pleasure to help you  =)
    So I start with a base mesh like here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AQyKX 
    After when I finish to block general volume, I merge all parts for a dynamesh and smooth stocks.
    And I make a zremesh. About my last update, I make a retopology because I sure (95%) my scupture not will be modify.  You need a retopology because around the mouth, ear and eyes need a particular flow. And a low poly it's very important for move big volume ! And make polygroup for ease your sculpting.  

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks @Jaywyr, really appreciate your help, especially the dividing up areas into polygroups, that makes good sense. 
    I always keep a look out for tutorials or other stuff that online, there's a lot of stuff out there, it gets real tough sometimes deciding on which methods to adopt.
    I guess it's about choosing the best workflow to get what you want to achieve for the final result? In my case, i've still a long way to go in understanding what works best for which goals. Getting help like this from the community is great. thanks again :)