Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

June Animations

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MissBiankadonk polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone!

A new month so new animations! I've done as much as I could and would like some new eyes on these four animations.

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Very nice. I like the little breaks you put into the cycles.

I think you have good opportunities to push the characters more.
    the first male, you can push him more toward a hurried businessman type character. His back would be more straight, his legs would be moving quickly and full stride like you have. And a little less weight shift side-to-side. The weight shift also ends a little too early. The shift starts around the compression/push-off, fully shifted, a moving hold, through the cross-over; and starts shifting the other direction around compression/push-off again. You have the start at around cross-over and fully shifted by the front plant pose.

the skip, push the little girl character. more bounce height, compress the knee much more, arch the torso back at the apex poses. push the arm swings above the head even. Vary up the pacing from the first one by holding a few frames longer at the apex of each skip.

swordwoman, same weight shifting a few frames too early. Her hip swings up as soon as the foot touches ground when it should be 2~3 frames later. I'd push the S-shape left/right a bit more. animate the clavicles more to add emphasis to that S-shape.

club male could be slower than the rest to add emphasis to his bulk and the mass of the club. The feet plants would have less heel-toe roll under the much heavier weight he's carrying. There up/down of the mass would not be as smooth.

• MissBiankadonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissBiankadonk polycounter lvl 2
    Hito said:
    Very nice. I like the little breaks you put into the cycles.

I think you have good opportunities to push the characters more.
    the first male, you can push him more toward a hurried businessman type character. His back would be more straight, his legs would be moving quickly and full stride like you have. And a little less weight shift side-to-side. The weight shift also ends a little too early. The shift starts around the compression/push-off, fully shifted, a moving hold, through the cross-over; and starts shifting the other direction around compression/push-off again. You have the start at around cross-over and fully shifted by the front plant pose.

the skip, push the little girl character. more bounce height, compress the knee much more, arch the torso back at the apex poses. push the arm swings above the head even. Vary up the pacing from the first one by holding a few frames longer at the apex of each skip.

swordwoman, same weight shifting a few frames too early. Her hip swings up as soon as the foot touches ground when it should be 2~3 frames later. I'd push the S-shape left/right a bit more. animate the clavicles more to add emphasis to that S-shape.

club male could be slower than the rest to add emphasis to his bulk and the mass of the club. The feet plants would have less heel-toe roll under the much heavier weight he's carrying. There up/down of the mass would not be as smooth.

Thank you very much for the awesome feedback. I know I tend to restrain my animations a little bit, afraid to push them too far. Something I need to work on of course :)

I will take your feedback and apply it as much as I can. Thank you!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I agree with all of Hito's feedback. I love the little breaks in the cycles.

I would consider removing the first swing of the big guys animation. It's a little awkward. And then have the second swing pound into the ground. He's kinda doing sword swings with the big club as it is right now.