Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized "hand painted" medieval tavern! Check it out!

terentiy
null
Offline / Send Message
terentiy null
Hey guys! want to share with you my new model. It turned out to be a little cartoonish, not exactly what i wanted, but overall i satisfied. "Hand painted" is in parenthesis because all the high-poly meshes of every piece were sculpted in Zbrush and after textured in SP2. Please tell me what you think.

model

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Looks to be a great start. The first thing that jumps out at me is the rooftops. You have 3 different colors, and near primary colors at that. It just doesn't feel pleasing to the eye. Your materials, handpainted they are, don't feel like they are all working together on the same mesh. Your stone trim doesn't feel at one with the stucco (?) which is also fighting the wood (two types). The wood grain I feel is too fine for this style and I would model in some of the roof tiles to give it a better silhouette. The detail isn't uniform across all textures as well. 

But yes, I like the direction you are going :), keep on pushing verts!
  • terentiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terentiy null
    Lamont said:
    Looks to be a great start. The first thing that jumps out at me is the rooftops. You have 3 different colors, and near primary colors at that. It just doesn't feel pleasing to the eye. Your materials, handpainted they are, don't feel like they are all working together on the same mesh. Your stone trim doesn't feel at one with the stucco (?) which is also fighting the wood (two types). The wood grain I feel is too fine for this style and I would model in some of the roof tiles to give it a better silhouette. The detail isn't uniform across all textures as well. 

But yes, I like the direction you are going :), keep on pushing verts!
    Thank you very much for the critique. I feel what you are saying. The overall model might not feel complete and organic because i was learning along with texturing and sculpting each individual part of the house. Will try better and harder, but the most important thing is that i enjoyed every minute working on this model and can't wait to start the next one!)
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    Could do with an AO pass!