Home General Discussion

Portfolio

null
Offline / Send Message
Ninjin42 null
Hey,
I couldn't find an answer how people make a website with their portfolio. It's about technical stuff, do people host their website on their own computer or do most people use an webhosting site like hostgator or godaddy. I was also thinking about carbonmade where you have the "carbonmade" in front of your portfolio, but it does give more customization than for example artstation. That said, I'll probably want to use my own website to post some of my games, 3d models, programming, basically a variety of content. Is there anything you guys prefer and can share some of the cons/pros of those services? <3

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Carbonmade is fine if you can make it look good and succinct.

Wix is fine if you can make it look good and succinct.

Deviantart  is fine if you can make it look good and succinct.

I like and use Blogger because it's free, has enough customizability to pare it down to its bare essentials, and it's run by Google, so it has decent support.

Hosting and making one from scratch is even better if you can.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You can buy the domain from carbonmade (which you always should) so it dosnt say name.websiteprovider.com, that just screams amateur

Ive tried all builders but the blogging ones and it boils down to this

If you are an 3D artist or beginner but want your easy own site - Carbonmade, always looks great, nothing to mess up
    If you want to be seen, socialize maybe and a easy solution, dont need your really own site - Artstation
    If you think you can do graphic design and want all control over your site and don't need (!) any good templates - Wix
    If you want to Blog mainly and are willing to take deficits in portfolio coherence for that - Wordpress or some dedicated blogging sites

Other notions: Squarespace has good templates with mediocre control but cumbersome UI,
    Weebly is easy to use with above mediocre control but only 'o.k.' templates
  • sudose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbonmade seems very solid but I'm only just now hearing about it.
    I know a lot of people who have had success with wix, and strangely enough even SquareSpace.

Depending on how much HTML/CSS you know, you could use a site like Themeforest to structure your idea. Coding and designing your own portfolio can be a bit frustrating, but it's arguably also the most rewarding.

Wordpress seems to be a nice platform for this as well :)

Either way, coding a site or using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor such as Carbonmade or WIX shouldn't deem bad by any means in the year 2016. I believe it'll really come down to the GUI you're most comfortable with, and/or the site that has the best templates for your taste

Best of luck!

• Cloudydays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudydays polycounter lvl 6
    @Shrike @sudose

Yeah I would say that Wordpress can be used to do more than just blogging. You can make a really nice portfolio page with it as well and if you're willing to spend some money, you can also buy some Wordpress themes to easily make your website look the way you want it to. I would then go on to host with Bluehost personally because they give you a deal with using Wordpress for the first year and it's a pretty reliable host service (that is if you want to use Wordpress.org rather than the free version of Wordpress.com)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Why do I get every WAYWO notification ever but it someone tags me directly I get no message ? Hmmm
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Shrike
    You don't get this notification either ?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ah nevermind, it worked, there were just 2 pages of WAYWO I had to scroll through >.>
    This needs to be adressed somehow.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    @Shrike I had to unfollow the WAYWO thread, it's over kill lol I thought polycount use to send out ONE e-mail when someone comment on a thread your sub'd untill you view that thread again. Now it seems I get an e-mail every time someone comments on that thread period.

as for this thread, I use to have my own site via godaddy and someone else for hosting but I found I wasn't able to make it look as good as other freebie sites so I switched over to weebly, I personally don't mind having .weebly in the url because how often do people actually type it anyways? Most people won't view your work without a direct clickable link anyways. Also I use artstation because that seems like the facebook of the art world, get's your stuff noticed the most.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, just unsub from high traffic thread. If it's active, you gonna see it regardless. Only fave threads you really want to follow.