Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | M4A4 Time Machine

LATEST UPDATE: 5/27

Premise
With a contest taking place in 70s and 80s sci-fi, there truly isn't a more iconic fixture than Back to the Future's DeLorean Time Machine. The way it's brushed stainless met with it's futuristic time traveling components, the style has been unmatched since the two movies were released. I wanted to try and capture this style on the weapon that, in my opinion, it would look best on.

One thing I wanted to stray away from, was a skin that took away from the gameplay by being too flashy, a problem which I think may arise from the theme being 70s/80s, with their abundant use of hot pinks, neon oranges, etc. This being said, I wanted to keep a very simple color pallet, mainly consisting of the stainless texture and black plastic, giving it a very neat look, yet keeping it exciting. I opted for a few elements, however, that did break this formula. While everything is still being worked on, and concept art is abundant, I decided to use the screws and bolts embedded into the M4A4's body as "flare points", things that would add an accent. All of this combined will also naturally make it fit it's color rarity (classified), as this isn't a covert skin, and therefore needs some form of limitation.

Concept
The concept art I worked off of was as follows:

I took the design of both the nuclear powered, and mr.fusion powered time machines, as most of the components were extremely similar, and I wanted to keep it neutral for fans of both designs.

Drafting
It's still very early, but I wanted to post a rough proof of concept for the style I am going for. Keep in mind, it is not textured, as it is just a mock-up at this stage. The following is an extremely early, and again, un-textured version  of the rifle skin.

One thing that I think will look extremely cool, is the neon blue in the front chambered area. If we give it a high glow or reflectance in mapping, it would give it a subtle, yet powerful, blue glow when inspecting, but it would be perfectly playable when using it in game. The entire idea revolves around this iconic piece of science fiction history, something that nearly everyone knows, even if they haven't seen the movies.

The things I'll aim for in the next update, are finalizing the color scheme, and adding the brushed stainless and black plastic textures where they belong. Goals to complete consist of adding the chrome tubing at the butt of the gun (not as far as the stock), the black cabling that runs from the back to the front, and the black plastic line from the original car as an accent feature. All of these have been outlined in the first concept art photo.

Textured Draft
With rough texturing, I've been able to bring this idea more-so to light. While the textures used aren't final, the positions of the textures are extremely close to how they will be in the final product. 

This is still a rough draft, but I'm aiming to be complete within the next few days. I'm aiming to keep this a PINK rarity skin, which is something I believe to be an important factor, as it said so in the rules. Keeping this gun clean, and fairly straight forward, is the goal. The next update on it's texturing should include improved steel/plastic textures, cleaner transitions, a rubber texture, and overall, a more finalized product.

The latest version is closer to complete, with a few changes. The muzzle has a much shorter "heat" fade now, the textures are finalized, and the clip has the iconic colors taken from the DeLorean's taillights, and the movie. There's still a lot of refining to do, shading and accent wise, but overall, it's edging towards completion.

I hope you all like my idea and submission, and please feel free to give any feedback of what you'd like to see on this skin in the future. I'll make sure to go back to it. (I'm so sorry for that pun.)