Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Render to texture results in black screen when saved to file

Violet
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Violet polycounter lvl 9
This is a long standing problem I've had, we had it in work and now I have it at home. We could never figure out how to fix it, so went back to 'default scanline renderer' AO texture bakes, which isn't very good - we ended up using Maya. A few minutes with Maya - it's done!

The scene renders fine visually, but when it comes to saving the file, it is always black. It's using Mental Ray.

We messed around with all the settings, and even had a single PC to do AO renders, and never got it fixed - it's not file format, compression, 16/32 bit settings - I believe we tried changing every setting. The render is visible, but the saved file is black when it is saved as a 'Complete Map' and a black and white image when it's saved as 'MR Ambient Occlusion'. Saving to TGA, BMP, EXR, etc has the same effect - it's just saving a blank image in 'CompleteMap'. Saving as 'MRAmbient Occlusion' is visually useless.

It's easy to save the file out, but the rendered image on screen doesn't apply padding, so you're left with a black line when you put it on your texture.

Did anyone ever figure this out? It's going back as far as Max 2011.

Replies