Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Art Challenge May 2016 (40)

Replies

• Bugpfeife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bugpfeife null
    Hi there! I'm new and worked on the Vector Silenced so far. This is my first High Poly weapon and first challenge ever. In the texturing process I recognized that i did wrong at some parts but wanted to continue texturing anyway. Guess I will be working on a 2nd version with improved details such as the shaft attachment or the additional circles at the scope.model

• Bugpfeife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bugpfeife null
    jwills said:
    So texturing progress, substance painter is awesome!! I decided to make it more "battle worn" than the concept because it looks more interesting and meant I could play with painter more, let me know if I've taken the worn look too far... I tend to over do it when it comes to texturing. I also tried Iray in the new painter and played with some settings!!!
    Iray Render:

Looks absolutely awesome! How did you achieve this level of realism? Did you use post effects in substance painter? I also used a 4k textures but after exporting my model to sketchfab it looks pretty blurry D:
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Playing around with different lighting methods and got the lightpost model done, gonna have to start setting up some emissives i think and than time to move to the front window portion
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @Bugpfeife thanks dude :) That image you linked was a Iray render through Painter so it looks particularly crisp and clean since its pulling information straight from the layers, and from what I can tell, there is definitely a small drop in texture quality after exporting, as I've found viewing my model in marmoset, however there shouldn't be near as much as your seeing. Its hard to tell why yours seems to be low quality but double check that you are exporting at 4K and with PNG (16bit max) and before exporting make sure your texture size in the document is 4k, if your like me and work at 2k and then up res from there, you may have just forgotten? Another solution is that it could be because your cramming a lot objects into a single texture space meaning they all end up have a low pixel density. Its hard to say without seeing your substance file and UVs. Im no Painter expert though :)

In terms of the realism, just a matter of building up subtle textures and looking at real life references for the different materials and trying your best to match their reflective and bump values i.e plastic, metal. All comes with time and practice though.

Some more renders from Iray :)

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Everyones stuff is looking awesome, not going to get mine finished for some time because i've just moved to a new apartment. I'll post as soon as I get the chance to work on it though :smiley:
  • Bugpfeife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bugpfeife null
    @jwills thanks for your response dude :)

I tried to increase the amount of details on the material surface, as well as rendering an image with iray. I'm actually pretty happy with the outcome!
    Can't wait to see more Sci-Fi rooms as well. Guess I'm going to do an indoor scene next month if there will be any ;)
    I really like the idea behind this monthly challenges <3
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    @Bugpfeife
    That turned out great, good job!
    Still working on the environment, really slow progress :/

• RockyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockyS polycounter lvl 3
    @Bugpfeife top work! great texturing and detailing in the end ..it looks real :smile:
    @Shyralon keep going dude what you have so far looks really good 
    I'm calling it a day on mine, end result probably not great ..but I'm taking participating, learning loads along the way! and completing the damn thing as a win :smile:

• CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMPearce polycounter lvl 7
    @Bugpfeife @jwills Outstanding work

@RockyS I really like your lighting, the only thing that I would consider developing would be the corner panel front of camera.

Here is what I managed to produce, unfortunately unfinished.  There is still much for me to do, lighting especially. I'm also not happy with the textures, too grungy. I need to tone them down bit closer to the concept. I hate the white floor divide, they need to go. Also need to finish of the lower level walls and left side computer among other things.  

I'll continue to develop this into June.

• agitori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitori polycounter lvl 7
    Playing around with different lighting methods and got the lightpost model done, gonna have to start setting up some emissives i think and than time to move to the front window portion

I must say everyone did some good work on it, but you are one of the few doing the curving floor, how did you do it to match the other floor tile?
  • CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been experimenting with lighting today, still need to bring in the ceiling pipes and work on the lower level walls but wanted to get a feel for the scene a bit more, create an atmosphere.   

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitori said:

I must say everyone did some good work on it, but you are one of the few doing the curving floor, how did you do it to match the other floor tile?
    I made the entire floor a separate piece in itself (no modularity), I did it because i decided to not try and get this scene to work with modularity (focusing on just making the set pieces work with the beauty shot). During the highpoly I basically bend a sections of individual pieces of the floor (grating, upper extrusion). If i were to make sure the entire scene was modular, i would approach floor bends with this method courtesy of Thiago Klafke. http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got an updated shot on my scene. The only placeholder parts are the roof pipes and the ceiling itself. Going to work more on post process/lighting/texturing after I figure out what to do with the ceiling (concept is crummy on that part). Unfortunately I am still working on this in June but oh well.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @supaclueless
    Dude you nailed it, turned out great!
    Only minor thing would be that the handraul appear a bit to thick in my opinion.
  • SpaceSteggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @supaclueless I like the panels in the back with the LED's on them. They just look neat to me. My only crit would be the orange tubing on the right side of the scene looks a little too low poly or angular as it gets farther back. Everything is so deliciously smooth in the scene so that jumps out at me. Otherwise, this is awesome!

I'm a little late on this but I think I'm done for this model. I learned a LOT courtesy of the polycount wiki/users and will definitely be doing a few things differently for my next normal mapping project but for now I'm proud of what I came up with. Critiques are of course welcome but I think I'll just be applying the knowledge to a new, fresh project. More images of this and a Marmoset Toolbag viewer on my artstation. Cheers!

• agitori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agitori polycounter lvl 7
    Finally got an updated shot on my scene. The only placeholder parts are the roof pipes and the ceiling itself. Going to work more on post process/lighting/texturing after I figure out what to do with the ceiling (concept is crummy on that part). Unfortunately I am still working on this in June but oh well.

Looks good to me, just about the concept art some element looks out of place but I say you did it I will try this environment too I think it's a good challenge (so will skip June challenge) and thanks for the tips : D
  • CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SpaceSteggy I think you have done a fantastic job and a great representation of the original concept. I think you've captured the style really well. 

@supaclueless great stuff, I think you have managed to recreate the scene closest to the original concept for this challenge. The only thing that perhaps seems off to me is the thickness of the handrail. I think you've nailed the ceiling, it was difficult to read from the concept! 

Here's my latest, I've tried to bring it back towards the original concept a little and finally added a few extra bits. I'd like to get the left hand computer in this weekend if possible and just continue to tweak the lighting etc.  

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CMPearce
    I feel like the walltexture is a bit to noisy, I would try to tone done the metaltexture a bit.
    Also, are you using a skylight or realtime GI? It looks like you are using pointlights only which makes some spots look very dark - I think you could get a lot more out of this with some more focus on lighting :)

My progress is really slow, but it's slowly coming together. Have atleast finished most of the major assets and can move to detailing and placing decals soon. Also not happy with the white material yet, it looks quite untextured - I plan to tweak it some more and then break it up using colored decals..

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added most of the remaining final meshes in place. I'm currently gonna leave the ceiling as it is as I'm hoping to finalize this piece shortly. Have to finish up on missing icons/screens/text around the scene and tweaking materials some more (I don't know if i want to heavily texture the assets but i think i should. Texturing is a really weak spot for me). Will than move to finalization of lighting or completely overhaul of it than post process. Also tweaks railings and pipe quality (it was still a placeholder mesh) based on comments around here (thanks @CMPearce and @SpaceSteggy)

• CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shyralon Thank you for your feedback and I totally agree. I also think the walls are far too noisy. The last thing I textured was the LED panel section at the back, I think I'll do an overall on the texturing and bring it more in line with that texture and clean it all up a bit. I am attempting realtime GI haha, but it's still very much work in progress on the lighting front. I think I've rushed this project a bit trying to get it done by end of month. I'm going to skip the June challenge and just refine this environment I think. 

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update after a while! Did some texturing (Quixel) and started on finishing up this piece. Overall I'm satisfied with how this came out since this was mainly used for me to derust myself from not doing 3d work for close to a year. Mainly just going to work a little more in post process and maybe tweak a few materials here and there and some minor touch ups!

• supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one done with its current state. Overall I am generally satisfied with the results and it was a very good piece to derust myself. I started shifting away from the concept quite abit towards the end and some stuff was changed just for convenience purposes. Time to look onward to the next piece!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Nice work, congrats on finishing a new piece! I like the colors.
  • mon246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    Calling this one done with its current state. Overall I am generally satisfied with the results and it was a very good piece to derust myself. I started shifting away from the concept quite abit towards the end and some stuff was changed just for convenience purposes. Time to look onward to the next piece!
    Congrats on finishing, it looks fantastic! Can we see a wireframe?
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still working on this. Going really slow because lots of stuff is going on and I don't have too much time to work on it but well..hopefully I can finish it someday :)
    Changed the colorscheme and lighting a lot, blocked out some more stuff.
    Haven't worked on the ceiling yet, some parts are still untextured.

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    I've put a little more polish on this now I'm calling it done for now because I don't necessarily want to full in that dark corner, I like the idea of leaving it dark. 

More Images to come on my artstartion.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BVqr8