Home General Discussion

E3 2016

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
beefaroni sublime tool
E3 2016 is coming up soon. June 14-16!
https://www.e3expo.com/

I should be there with a few co-workers but it would be great to meet up with you all as well.

Who's going!?

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked how Sony presented the game video, with the smaller windows, on the side, showing someone actually playing the game, and the audience reactions. And if it wasn't played live, we got to see the whole video/screen. While I agree, I don't care about the audience, I think all companies do it to prove actual crowd reactions, so people don't accuse them of canned applause
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't care about the audience reactions when they do things like cheer about something being a timed exclusive.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed... I feel like they are populated with fanboys anyway. It's like a Mac conference, when everyone cheers over the name of a new app, with no idea what it does
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Watching Square Enix Presents...my go what are they doing? They promised all this "wait for E3". So far all we got was a horrible on stage demo that made the game look either horribly controling or outright broken, a trailer that was dead annoying. Now it's their own event and they spend the time discussing some cheap side game that feels put together in a week and the box art for some time now....Seriously, they got nothing. Hearing what a "leak" from an Engine dev (all to be taken with a grain of salt) said, that the game currently only runs for about 2 hours on console or aint booting at all and now they basically don't bother to show anything of value (especially fans were concerned about). There i was thinking they go their shit together but man they are damping my excitement.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    is it just me or was the zelda stuff they showed rather underwhelming? Like if it was not a zelda game no one would care. 
    It looks like they are aping skyrim and the witcher 3 with a bit of assasins creed style climbing thrown in there, which looked rough and clunky. the art seems like it has the potential to be nice, but everything looks muddy as hell and could easily be acomplished on the last console generation with little fanfare.
    All the mechanics in the trailer looked kinda gimmicky and janky, and overall just not a good representation of what could be a cool game. To me it just seemed typical nintendo as of late, looking too much in the past and relying on nostalgia to hype their shit up. certainly didnt work for the new star fox which I heard is god awful on just about all accounts.

in fact my biggest impression I got from this e3 is there was nothing really new or innovative in terms of gameplay mechanics in 99% of the titles. I loved the art in god of war, but it looks like a norse witcher 3 in terms of gameplay. Maybe I am just getting bored of video games? I dunno.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelda...really wasn't crazy about this magnet thing or their building thing. The view changing to a tronesque bright blue style to give you an idea where to manipulate. Really didn't fit in. 

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    in fact my biggest impression I got from this e3 is there was nothing really new or innovative in terms of gameplay mechanics in 99% of the titles. I loved the art in god of war, but it looks like a norse witcher 3 in terms of gameplay. Maybe I am just getting bored of video games? I dunno.
    Did you see Bound? Not really sure how it plays, but certainly looks unique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE37l6RvF-c

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I just realized, and maybe people don't care anymore, but I did not see a single update/release for the Vita :( 
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The sony conference was incredible. No bullshit speakers. Quick, to the point and just showed what we wanted. Fucking Trailers. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think Zelda will be good, even if they're recycling western RPG mechanics, it will be neat to see how that jives with the traditional zelda gameplay. Also I have a feeling it will come alive on the NX, the bland terrain etc. is probably the result of optimization for the Wii U.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to everyone who contributed to a title shown off at E3 this year! The road up to showing a game to the world can be challenging and time consuming. Keep up the great work all ya art peeps.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    The happy few look soooooo goooood. 
    I love the idea behind it and the visuals are really cool.

Can't wait! -squee-
  • dieselJunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dieselJunk polycounter lvl 3
    Nier Automata, Nioh and The Last Guardian might be enough to tip me into buying a PS4.
    Nioh and Nier are both awesome looking third person action games, I'm loving the bits of bullet-hell style combat that've been shown in Nier and Nioh looks like it'll scratch that itch for more Soulsy type gameplay in a way that 2D indies really can't do.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Got to play a 30 minute demo of Zelda. Thumbs up from me! It's got a lot of looting and crafting, but it still feels pure Zelda.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel

Seems you can create forest fires in the new Zelda.
    Apparently there's also a dedicated jump button now. I never liked how Link was restricted to auto-jump, glad to see they finally changed it.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz said:
    https://gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel

Seems you can create forest fires in the new Zelda.
    Apparently there's also a dedicated jump button now. I never liked how Link was restricted to auto-jump, glad to see they finally changed it.
    The new Zelda actually looks like it's shaping up to be a really good game, saw a webm from the livestream of someone using an ability to stop time and apply force using the hammer and the force stacked. Once the stop time ability was over the boulder flew away, combined with everything else I've seen and read so far I'm actually hyped for this one. I just really hope they don't listen to the people saying that it's empty, I would for once want an actual open world game that has massive empty areas and not having a dragon show up every 50 meters.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ......wow. I thought my memories of it looking better were a bit off but yea..

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea.  That is definitely a disappointment.  I wish nintendo would buy a studio like naughty dog and use all of their expertise to get some amazing graphics.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny that i don't hear "Downgrade" as much as with other franchises that had less of a change between first showing and final game.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's funnier is that an artist working in the industry is surprised by downgrades from E3 videos.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Well they can't show the NX version, which will be a launch title, undoubtedly it will look better.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Fuiosg said:
    Well they can't show the NX version, which will be a launch title, undoubtedly it will look better.
    it's not just about fidelity, it's about style too. there's an obvious style shift (in my opinion for the worse) at play here as well. They're not going to have two different art styles between platforms for the same game.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Was anyone flabbergasted by those crowds in Days Gone? I think this is the zombie game I've always wanted, and what I wish Dead Rising was when it first came out .
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHbP_gdfQg
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    it's not just about fidelity, it's about style too. there's an obvious style shift (in my opinion for the worse) at play here as well. They're not going to have two different art styles between platforms for the same game.
    Not sure I see a "style" shift, here's the very first time they showed gameplay and it looks pretty much the same. Now obviously the trailer looked better, but to my eyes its just higher gamma and some better looking grass, that's possibly doable on NX.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Days Gone doesn't look fun to play from the trailer so far.  Being alone and shooting all those zombies from some third person perspective with just a gun while also manipulating some doors with nothing much else to see implies one of those chore games. also feels outdated already somehow given the zombie survival theme being overplayed to death (lol)

then again the only ubisoft game to phase me this e3 has been that trek vr thing. Not the right enterprise though, I want the D.  maybe they'll make a NCC-1701DLC.  It's the only VR game I like this e3 and it's not from its VR, but the whole roleplay-as-a-crew-on-the-bridge aspect that's rarely explored at all, if ever. It's something I've wanted for 20 years now. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar said:
    The new Zelda actually looks like it's shaping up to be a really good game...I just really hope they don't listen to the people saying that it's empty, I would for once want an actual open world game that has massive empty areas and not having a dragon show up every 50 meters.
    They probably just mean they think the game has a lack of environmental/visual variety. Atm the props lack a lot of detail, and there doesn't seem to be hardly any types of plant life aside from basic trees and grass.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Fuiosg said:
    I agree with some other folk that I wasn't impressed by any of the gameplay or art compared to other games, for the new Zelda, but one thing I was incredibly happy about was the notable style shift compared to what we got in the last one (Skyward Sword).  Skyward Sword was the most hacked together Zelda ever, complete with an overworld map that shows the forest right next to the volcano right next to the desert, with absolutely no believable transition inbetween any of them.  And let's not forget Tentalus, which was the most uninspired, ripped-right-out-of-Monsters Inc looking thing I've ever seen in a Zelda title.

Breath of the Wild isn't shock and awe by any means, especially when compared to...most other titles these days, but it's refreshing to see a consistent new art/design and a return to being able to travel across Hyrule on your own two feet!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think the new zelda gameplay looks really similar to shadows of mordor, Im down with that.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Tekoppar said:
    The new Zelda actually looks like it's shaping up to be a really good game...I just really hope they don't listen to the people saying that it's empty, I would for once want an actual open world game that has massive empty areas and not having a dragon show up every 50 meters.
    They probably just mean they think the game has a lack of environmental/visual variety. Atm the props lack a lot of detail, and there doesn't seem to be hardly any types of plant life aside from basic trees and grass.
    Most of the time people I asked mentioned that there didn't appear to be enough to do.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Thinking about going Westside today if anyone's around to join up!  Game Dev Drink Up and Glitch City
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Square Enix is all over (my god 3 days with livestream not saying much at all). What started to feel like an unorganized desaster (Stage presentation and trailer) turned out really fantastic with the footage tabata has shown live and a lot of good information in the last Q&A. The end of the Titan summon, This Venice city and the Car Transformation were quite something. As long as they can put it all together now, there is quite something coming up.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    That looks like a fun idea, 3rd person bullet hell basically, very tricky to get the camera right for the whole game! Im sure some people would love that, its definitely not for me though - I suck at those sort of games.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Nier:Automata looked fantastic.
  • littleclaude
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    The shadows and lighting in Nier:Automata  were absolutely gorgeous. The gameplay: action adventure/rpg like devil may cry n darksiders but dem double jumps, anime pose freeze frame melee attacks and the use of the flying Bot familiar to float/levitate down direction-ally all particularly remind of Psychonauts!