Home Technical Talk

CPU? GPU? 3D software lags

Hi I've been using some 3D softwares and there has been intense lag when just making stuff, not rendering. My machine starts to lag when I start adding little bits of details. Im not sure if there's lag because of my vid card or something else. Ive been using MODO, Fusion 360, Marvelous Designer, etc. Please help me out thanks!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz Windows 8 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Display Memory: 4043 MB Dedicated Memory: 1995 MB Shared Memory: 2047 MB

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    That rig is really, really imbalanced. If you just use Zbrush, Photoshop and Xnormal you should be fine, but for anything that uses a GPU you should have at least a GTX 750 Ti or a GTX 950.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the GFX card might be on the lower end but that in itself is likely not the reason for the lag. sounds like you might have not installed a suitable display driver? fresh windows install with some auto-selected generic driver perhaps? try getting latest directly from nvidia for your type of card and override any suggestions windows may make.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    @thomasp it's on the lowest end sub $50 gpu, I think Jed was right, it is most likely the gpu struggling.

Here it is compared to the GTX 960 (best price/performance ratio right now)

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Scruples said:
    @thomasp it's on the lowest end sub $50 gpu, I think Jed was right, it is most likely the gpu struggling.

Here it is compared to the GTX 960 (best price/performance ratio right now)

of course what exactly intense lag and 'little bits of details' mean are open for interpretation but you can do 3D alright with something like an intel HD3/4000 (laptop iGPU's from 2011/12) which reach between 300-ish and 451 in that benchmark. not suitable for complex scenes but certainly not annoying to work with.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You may actually get better performance if you remove your GPU and just use the onboard one instead...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah, my 2/3 year old laptop (some sandybridge i5) gets 47fps in modo, wireframe off, with 2mil tri on its iGPU. More details on what consitutes 'lag' might be a good thing (perhaps you're doing something incredibly heavy computation wise without realising it, like snapping to dense geometry)... but really if you're using such software you should probably invest in a better GPU.
  • ohirris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the suggestion/ feedback. I think I will have to invest in a new vid card I was actually thinking of gtx 960 for budget and performance. In MODO for example it crashes very often and it gets pretty annoying because I'd have to save everytime I make small changes. This is what Im working on at the moment trying to learn the software, but in modeling mode it's not as smooth I'd wish it would be.