Home Adobe Substance

Painter - problem with baking multiple hi-polys on single lowpoly

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ZiggyGlass polycounter lvl 8
Hi!
While working on this project, I've encountered a weird problem: some of my bakes, where mutiple high-polys were baked into single lowpoly with a single UV, had nasty white seams where two highpolys intersect. I checked and double-cheked - there aren't any gaps between high-polys. They overlap. The weirdest thing, was that individual maps (normal, Id, etc) looked fine. All maps combined into material - white seam.

Lowpoly is solid, no gaps. But, UV seam and hard edge are going exactly along that line.
I'm baking with cage, match by mesh name, ray distance is standard. I have multiple models built like that with some proportion variations, and some are baking with this seam, and some without. Can't see any pattern of this problem. It just happens.

There is another similar problem with baking another model. This one repeats itself not only in Painter, but in xNormal too, so that means, there is a problem in the meshes, but I can't find anything wrong with it.
Problem reveals itself as some stray lines, crossing some of the model details.
I could speculate, on what the problem is - maybe it's vertical polygon on lowpoly. But it's not that simple. First, it's needed for correct shape (flat surface bridging sides of the knife would not bake properly whatever ray distance I set, and slope from knife side to the blade will look even weirder), and second, this line on normal map goes only so far, it fades towards the back end of the knife!
Baked normal:

Material view:

High-poly:

Lowpoly:

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The white line you mention, are they white line in between materials when you mask them through an ID map? If so, you can play with the color ID masking settings to get rid of the white outline. I also always put a black matte fill layer at the bottom of my stack, so if there is any space between materials, I'll get a dark outline rather than white and it will likely won't be noticeable in the final material.

As for your lines on the bake, try tessellating that huge flat polygon on the high poly, there may be some lone vertex somewhere messing up the normal.
  • ZiggyGlass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiggyGlass polycounter lvl 8
    oooh! Thanks!
    I see it now. I forgot to map additional Id color for metal part of this black-orange handle, and now it's shining through.
    Thanks for the good advices!
    Still, with knife it's not that simple. Subdividing this huge polygon on hi-poly didn't help. Adding some cuts on lowpoly didn't help either. It actually extended this weird line a bit further. Another strange thing. Normal map looks okay. There is nothing unusual going on in this spot. Yet any material reacts to this with this strange thick line, that looks like zero roughness, or something.