Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Garage tools pack

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ZiggyGlass polycounter lvl 8

Hello, my fellow polycounters!

Finally, I mustered enough courage, to upload some screenshots of my first project on UE4.

Originally, I've started it to learn Maya and Substance, and eventually, maybe sell it on Unreal Marketplace. That's probably a bit optimistic, but why not.

I still don't know a thing about right ways to do stuff, and correct workflow, so I hope you can point out what I should improve, and how to make this look decent.

I'd also appreciate any recommendations on Substance Painter and UE4 tutorials. Everything I know I learned from original Allegorithmic and Epic youtube channels, but I'm sure there is much more to learn.

So, about this model pack. All tools have an average polycount around 1000 tris. Some tools have individual UVs, some are sharing. Textures are now 2048, but I'm pretty sure it can be scaled down to 512 without much trouble.

All models are baked from subdiv high-polys, some(i.e. pliers) have 2 lods.

Pack consists of 21 object (of 29 originally planned, hope to finish them later). Mostly it's tools one can find in a typical garage, and some containers, workbenches, etc. All tools have clean materials with changeable colors now, and I'm planning to make dirty/grunged material variations.

I'm looking forward for any advice and critique you can provide.

I also have some questions concerning baking artifacts in Painter, but probably it'd be better to ask those questions in the proper forum.

Replies

• EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    This is very impressive! I have not seen something like this before! You have a nice collection here and it has a nice theme to it!
    The colors are similar throughout all the tools. The tools also seem to have a nice light-map, is it created by hand or rendered by Unreal Engine?

I am actually a bit curious about the saw, are the blades done through a 2 sided texture or are they actually modeled out?
    Keep up the work! :)
  • ZiggyGlass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    There is no lightmap here - just basic realtime preview. It's working okay as it is, I think. And, well, there shouldn't be any static light on those tools. Movable physical objects.
    Saw has a single polygon for a blade, with opacity map.
  • Jojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jojo null
    Is this coming to the marketplace anytime soon? 
  • ZiggyGlass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um, well, I did this for training, mostly. Ideas of posting it on marketplace were kinda crushed by the amount of things I have to learn first to make it pass approval.
    But thanks for reminding me about this! I should consider optimize it a bit and maybe start a "gauging interest" thread on unrealengine forums.
    A bit better showcase picture I made with "showcase" map by Osman