Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] - Traditional Japanese Room

Hey guys!

So I'm not a regular poster on here. I don't tend to share a lot of my work, but this is a new attempt to start getting some feedback and put my work out there!

So over Easter I wanted to challenge myself to build an environment in 1 week (Monday-Sunday). I finished this scene last week (Easter Sunday actually!) I'm just getting round to sharing it now cos I'm lazy :neutral: 

My main aim with this environment was to build something with a rich colour palette and an easily recognisable theme, in a short space of time.
This is the final result of my work, hope you peeps like it.
As always any feedback would be much appreciated!

Finished work after 7 days:

Traditional Japanese Room

I'm pretty pleased with the overall result (I didn't think I'd actually finish it by the weeks end, but hey...) 

I guess my only concern is the outside area. I got stuck on that for a while not knowing what I wanted to do with it. Seeing as I had given myself a week I rushed it a bit. I might come back to this at a later date and rework the outside a bit, maybe build a full garden with a blossom tree or something...

Breakdown:

Seeing as I didn't make a WIP thread, I figured you guys would like to see a breakdown of how I went about building it. Show you the meshes/wireframes and my reference material :smile: 

Software Used:
  • MayaLT 2015
  • PhotoshopCC
  • nDo2
  • xNormal
  • UE4
My 2 main pieces of reference were basic images of Japanese interiors I found on Google Images. The other reference is for the type of colour palette I wanted to achieve. I recently finished playing Ori And The Blind Forest and I liked the 'Trine' series when I played it. So colour-wise they were big influencers for me, as I have never really played around with colour palettes of this type.

Moodboards/Reference:

Models and Wireframes:

Below are some images the Maya scene, the models used and their wireframes. The whole environment is using 4 textures in total for the models, excluding any VFX stuff. They are all old-school Diff/Normal/Spec, you won't find any PBR here :smile:  Models are low poly, as I only had a week I didn't do any high-poly stuff as I didn't want it to clog up my workflow.

Replies

• Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hi!  This is looking really nice!  I really like the lighting in this scene, and the contrast between the interior and the outside.
    Only thing that looks weird are the candles, do you have emissive map on the wax part of the candle? I know you're probably trying to fake SSS but the result you have at the moment is way over the top.

Could you please share screens of the texture maps?
  • FerdTheNerd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H said:
    Hi!  This is looking really nice!  I really like the lighting in this scene, and the contrast between the interior and the outside.
    Only thing that looks weird are the candles, do you have emissive map on the wax part of the candle? I know you're probably trying to fake SSS but the result you have at the moment is way over the top.

Could you please share screens of the texture maps?
    Thanks! Im really glad you like it :smile: 
    Yeah I am using an emissive on the candles, definitely no SSS. I haven't fully explored how to achieve sss yet. I could probably tone down the emissive map a bit. It's probably a combination of that and the bloom I applied that making it so blinding.

Totally forgot to share the texture maps!!

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice! I really like the rich lighting/ mood you chose. As to feedback, I think reducing the contrast/ adding some more fill light would help. I second what Tzur_H said about the candles. Right now its a bit too dark to see everything thats going on. It's hard to tell because its so dark, but it looks like your normals could be pushed a bit more. I love the panel/ pillow patter, but changing it up might help make it look less like you just reused the texture. Personally I'd switch the pillow fabric to something darker and more solid to make them stand out better. Overall great accomplishment, especially in such a short time!
  • FerdTheNerd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock said:
    Very nice! I really like the rich lighting/ mood you chose. As to feedback, I think reducing the contrast/ adding some more fill light would help. I second what Tzur_H said about the candles. Right now its a bit too dark to see everything thats going on. It's hard to tell because its so dark, but it looks like your normals could be pushed a bit more. I love the panel/ pillow patter, but changing it up might help make it look less like you just reused the texture. Personally I'd switch the pillow fabric to something darker and more solid to make them stand out better. Overall great accomplishment, especially in such a short time!
    Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. Admittedly, I got a tad lazy with the final props, and rushed it a bit, I was running out of time with my self-imposed time frame. If I fixed some of the lighting, I reckon the scene could probably benefit from some higher quality props and textures
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Man, this is awesome! I already gave you some feedback and now it is looking even better. I totally agree with the candles thing but I don't think you should change it since it is a 1 week job and a very good one :D sooo yep, now move to a 3 days environment, and remember: No sleep nor lunch time allowed!