Home Adobe Substance

Render substance painter textures in 3Ds Max and how do I create glass?

mlinder87
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mlinder87 polycounter lvl 4
Does anyone have a good workflow for rendering textures made in substance painter in 3Ds Max? Is it better to just buy Vray or it is possible to get a good render with Mental Ray? Unfortunately my school doesn't have Vray so i would have to buy it for myself. Also what is the best way to handle glass? Can I make it in Substance painter and export the ior map? Or is it better to make it in 3Ds Max? I want to be able to add scratches and dust to the glass. Also the glass is filled with a liquid. Is there a way to make it look like  liquid in Substance Painter? Sorry for all the questions...I have just been struggling on how I should tackle this.
p.s I am using substance painter 1.7.3. I own 2.0, but my school doesn't :( Atleast not yet.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just export the vray preset and plug the maps into the MR arch&design shader. Pretty much the same map slots. Vray isn't cheap. You don't have to texture absolutely everything in SP. You can still build shaders in Max. For something like a glass just add dust/scratch maps into a composite map. The ior will be handled in the shader as it's physically based. The dust should be layered on in a blend shader as the physical properties are obviously completely different than glass.

I'm  not saying don't  use SP for this, but you really should learn to build shaders in your renderer, and in general, using a combination of bitmaps and procedurals, making use of masks both procedural and handpainted. There are many methods for texturing without the need of unwrapping if the end target isn't a game engine.