Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kaneki Ken : Oh god help me Edition

So this is a commission that I've been working on for far too long. I've learnt a lot whilst reworking it over and over again, but I've run head first into a wall I'm struggling to get over.

-Hair-

I've put up a picture of my last vaguely successful attempt. Emphasis on vaguely.
I'm honestly not sure that sculpting the hair is in my best interest, judging by the research I've been doing, alpha cards should fill in that niche.
However, I'm really struggling to figure out the structure of the characters hair, and how  I should fill it out with Alpha Cards. To be totally honest, I'm not even all that sure on how to create good looking hair alphas, though I have been experimenting in Zbrush by baking out fibermesh strands onto planes.

For those of you not in the know, Kaneki Ken is a character from the anime/manga Tokyo Ghoul. I've included some research images of his hairstyle that I nabbed from google.
So this is where I'm really struggling, his hair has some important elements that I can't figure out how to implement, like the fluffiness.
I'm also really perplexed by its structure, is it some sort of messy layered bob? Is there an undercut underneath all that hair? I know that the typical alpha card methodology involves building the hair from the scalp out, but without knowing the structure of the hair, I feel its an exercise in futility.

Here is a snapshot from Marmoset;

The head has actually been resculpted since this iteration, but I haven't gotten around to unwrapping it yet. Because the hair and head have a synergistic relationship, I can't afford to unwrap something that might look shit with the eventual hair.

Oh, and ignore the weird lighting errors, they're mainly due to forgetting to export the normals in the obj, totally already fixed!

That being said, any other criticisms of the character are super cool with me, I'm all for gathering feedback! :wink: 

-Summary of post because I waffle too much!-

• This hair sucks, I hate hair!
  • Whats a good workflow for Alpha Card Hair? Do I make the alpha first, then layer the cards, or vice versa?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on how to tackle this hair style?
  • This character is Kaneki Ken from Tokyo Ghoul, though I'm trying to not make a super animu looking dude. (The guy commissioning the character is fine with this)
  • I am using 3ds Max, Zbrush, and I'm a libra.
  • Any other feedback is super appreciated!
  • Thank you