Home Technical Talk

Zbrush UV texturing problem.

darmar
vertex
Offline / Send Message
darmar vertex
question about zbrush - i am still new to all of this (1 month )

TEXTURING.

Okay i have multiple subtools which i unwrapped all separated.
Did poly paint on them ( all of them have 4 divided levels )

I merge them all as one piece ( multiple subtools) and this is what happens with my UVcolor map + normal map i cant export.

What am i doing wrong ? unsure emoticon any other way of doing it.

Any easier way maybe ? some other process??

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    When you merge subtools it destroys uv data and sub-d levels. You would need to do this in a 3d app (max/maya/etc) 

Export (or GoZ) combine the meshes and repack the uvs.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm guessing your UVs are overlapping once merged. Running the tool through UVMaster should fix this. You can have it preserve existing UV seams. 
    If your UVs were created externally, you could also fix them externally to make sure nothing overlaps as well.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    I'm guessing your UVs are overlapping once merged. Running the tool through UVMaster should fix this. You can have it preserve existing UV seams. 
    If your UVs were created externally, you could also fix them externally to make sure nothing overlaps as well.

Only problem with that is that you lose sub-d levels when merging so you would have to go through the process of duplicating/projecting/etc as you're left with the highest level in the merged tool thus making it pretty much a no-go unwrapping again. Much easier to just export the lowest levels to a 3d package and combine/pack there.

Although OP never said whether the end result was for illustration or game/animation asset purposes?
  • darmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar vertex
    its for illustration! :)

Thnx for your feedback. Can someone givem e some link i wanna keep the separate subtools and polypaint so i can export to keyshot
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Only problem with that is that you lose sub-d levels when merging so you would have to go through the process of duplicating/projecting/etc as you're left with the highest level in the merged tool thus making it pretty much a no-go unwrapping again. Much easier to just export the lowest levels to a 3d package and combine/pack there.

Merging preserves subdivision levels. You only lose them if you merge when they're not at an identical level. 
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    darmar said:

Thnx for your feedback. Can someone givem e some link i wanna keep the separate subtools and polypaint so i can export to keyshot
    If this is the case, there's probably no reason to merge. Looking at zbrush-to-keyshot tutorials it doesn't even look like you need UVs or texture/normal maps. 
  • darmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar vertex
    i must say u are right just been loking at that for last 1 h :D thnx for help guys!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar said:

Ah well that completely changes everything! :) If it's for illustration then you can pretty much do what you want. You don't need uvs for keyshot. Or you can just decimate each subtool(with keep uvs checked)and render externally. Or just shoot everything across to KS and it just works. Even surface noise that hasn't been baked to the mesh transfers over. Also, it's much better to keep all your subtools separate for KS for 2 reasons: 1 - KS imports in chunks and has less of an overhead upon import. 2 - You can apply different mats to each subtool.

@cryrid
    You're right, sorry, I overlooked that as I rarely, if ever, merge subtools for any reason at the end of my workflow.

• darmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar vertex
    zbrush - keyshot did the trick. it was Zbrush > keyshot bridge did the trick!

so much eaiser. and first test render.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you got it sorted. If you're interested you can hit the link in my signature here to check out my tuts. There's many, many hours of Zbrush, plus some Keyshot and render pass/comp/paintover tuts.
  • darmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darmar vertex
    i know ur tutorials :) They are very cool!